What do you guys recommend

onlydude

Sup all. I am currently using a shure sm58 to record all of my vocals and I was wondering if there would be a big difference in quality if I picked up a condenser mic like the Studio projects B1 or if you know of any better ones for 150 or less.
Please tell me what you think. Should I pick up a B1 instead of my sm58?

It will sound different. You should be able to hear the difference. However, there are other factors at work. Besides what your voice sounds like, and the style of music and all that important stuff, you also need to understand that condenser mics are much more sensitive to room noise, etc. Unless you are recording in a very quiet room (usually this means computers arent running, and cars arent driving by), then I wouldnt consider the B1.

The SM58 is fine for vox, although I prefer the SM57 to it. A lot of mic selection depends on where you are singing, the sound of the singer, and how it blends with the music. Simply buying another mic isnt going to make everything much better, persay, unless it was a better fit for the application/variables.

If you are looking at low cost mics, you should also perhaps check out the AT3035, not to say that the B1 would be a bad choice. Its just too hard to know without being in the situation. But at the end of the day, the SM58 is a quality microphone. I would venture to say it is of higher quality than the cheap condenser mics, but thats just baseless opinion of mine

I am recording in a small room in an upstairs apartment that is very cluttered with boxes and is right next to the computer.

I am recording vocals for rap/hip-hop

onlydude said:
Sup all. I am currently using a shure sm58 to record all of my vocals and I was wondering if there would be a big difference in quality if I picked up a condenser mic like the Studio projects B1 or if you know of any better ones for 150 or less.
Please tell me what you think. Should I pick up a B1 instead of my sm58?
Dude... the SP B1 sucks eggs on vocals. If you must have a cheap LDC mic... checkout some mics like the Marshall MXL-V67G, CAD M179 and etc.

Record in the closet if possible. Plenty of clothing to prevent reflections. That will make a big difference in sound, and will also minimize fan noise bleeding into the audio.

Beyond that... go to your nearest audio dealer and ask to try a few mics. Find one that generates a sound for your voice that is pleasing to your ear.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might try something really different like a Nady RSM-2. About the same output level as an SM57, but it's a ribbon mic (WARNING: FRAGILE!), which has very different sound characteristics. You can pick them up on eBay for just over $200 (though they could be up to twice that in a store...). Not quite in your target price range, but not too far out, either.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

That was funny...

Thanks for the advice. Can I get maybe one mic that you guys have mad a good personal experience with that would be worth checking out?

I use 2 SP B1 mics to stereo record my vocal/lap slide acoustic guitar playing. I record with a Fostex digital recorder.
As you asked about "vocals", I find I get a clear, clean and accurate vocal tone with the B1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the B1. Sure, it's not as good as the better mics........ BUT; if a singer can't sound great with a SP B1 then it's because the singer is not a great singer and not because of the mic.
Having said that, it's also true that some mics will suit certain types of voices better than others and thus produce slightly better results.

One more vote for the SP B1 for a sub-$100 mic. What I like most is that it doesn't have any big freq bumps that some other low-budget mics have. I use mine (I have 2) only with acoustic stringed instruments and find that I can get a fairly flat sound if I take some time to play around with mic placement.

Mic placement can make a world of difference--I'll sometimes record half a dozen samples, with different placements, before I find the sound I'm looking for.

J.

If you go with a cheap condenser, you won't find a big quality difference, but you will find a big difference. It won't be better- it will be different. I have to partially disagree with DLL on the B-1. It doesn't suck on vocals, it sucks on *some* vocals, like every other mic in the world. I do agree eith DJL that if vocals were my main or only use for the mic, I would prefer MXL V67. I rather like the B-1 as an overhead or instrument mic, in it's price range, but not unlike a lot of higher priced instrument mics, if the singer sucks *at all*, the B-1 will make them suck more. If the vocalist is really, really, good, the B-1 might actually be a better choice than V67. If the vocalist needs some airbrushing, I'd select V67. The CAD M179 is a better mic than either one of the others, but simply costs a little more.-Richie

Get something that totally contrasts with the SM58/57 so you can hear a big difference. Basically that means anything with a bit of high-end frequencies going on. That way you get two very distinct 'flavours' to choose from, and you can train your ears towards the more subtle differences later on. :)

Wow I was just playing around with all of teh controlls on my mixer and different settings on my computer etc. and I got my vocals to sound just the way I want them with my sm 58.

Thanks for everyones input and willingness to help me :D

You're welcome

onlydude said:
Wow I was just playing around with all of teh controlls on my mixer and different settings on my computer etc. and I got my vocals to sound just the way I want them with my sm 58.

Thanks for everyones input and willingness to help me :D
Way kool, it's always nice when we get things just the way we want them. :cool:

You would still get an incredible more amount of detail using a condenser mic... even if it was the B1. B1 is a pretty decent mic for the price.

I'd sell you my AKG c3000b if you're interested... $175, sells in stores for $299. PM me if interested.

jp

Back