What do I need to buy along with the MXL V67G. To make it work?

Jamrock

First time buyer here. I need to know exactly what to order from amazon along with my MXL V67G. (Just Phantom power?) or (should I get a Preamp?) (Or an Icicle?)
Do they come with the cables you need? Do I have to buy them seperate? I have no prior equipment except a computer.

1. I am looking for the cheapest items. (Im on a small budget)
2. I will be using it for Home recording Acoustic + Vocals. (Unplugged guitar, No Pick up)
3. How many CHORDS/CABLES do I need to buy (XLR/Power) to make Mic + Power/Preamp RUN?
4. It needs to include a USB port to plug into my computer. Most Phantom powers ive seen do not have this?
5. Im looking for the Phantom Power/Preamp/ That is the easiest to set up.

I basicly want to make one purchase online and be able to plug all the components together and make it run. (No guitar shops close to me)

Question about sound cards. Im running a 150$ ASUS sabertooth mother board. Do I need to buy a soundcard as well?

100$ MXL V67G is a good deal? Should I maybe buy something else? If so please let me know, Thank You.

Last edited:
OK, at the minimum, in addition to your microphone, you will need:

1 x XLR cable (microphone cable) of suitable length for your needs.
1 x Audio Interface. In one box, this provides 1) phantom power for the mic, 2) a preamp to boost your microphone output up to suitable recording levels, and 3) an analog to digital converter to convert your sound into digital.

I would also recommend getting a mic stand and shock mount to match the microphone. If you are recording voice, then you could also get a pop shield.

The audio interface should be provided with the necessary power and data cables to hook up to your PC.

For inexpensive software, check out Reaper.

On-board sound devices are not considered suitable for "serious recording". (You can research why).

There are many lower priced usb audio interfaces on the market. Perhaps you could give some idea of budget to help others give sensible purchase options? As a rough start, have a look at the M-Audio Fast Track series.

Hope that helps.

Back