What do I have???

Rokket

Trailing Behind Again
I am in Sasebo, Japan. Compare this to being in the outback in Australia. There is nothing here (it's a sprawling city, but even the Japanese consider it "country"). I had just started getting in to home recording, so I went in search of a cheap mic. Found one. In an electronics store. It's an Audio Technica PRO 100. I searched Audio Technica's home page. They don't even list it. It says on the body that it is a hyper cardioid dynamic Lo-z. I am guessing it's only made here in Japan (says Japan on the body, too). Has anyone heard of the PRO 100? What exactly do I have? I am going to get some better mics very soon, starting with the SM 57 and working my way up, but what is this one? Any help would be appreciated. All I can say about it (because I can't find real specs) is that it is pretty sensative, but I have to be real careful about placement, because my vocals and acoustic guitars can get boomy if I don't place it just right. It's pretty much uni-directional, but it picks up my breathing 6 feet away with the gain on my MR-8 set for -12db... Help me if you can. If not, I guess I will just have to wonder until I can get my mic collection together (sinking a bundle into the rest of my studio, building from the ground up). Thanks!

I'd have to check my junk box but I have an AT-Pro somethingorother laying around here. It's just what you state, Lo Z cardiod dynamic, kind of 58-ish. It's an OK dynamic mic.

In my experience anything that's not on their site is made in china, so are their KITPAK mics. I've only ever had one of their pro mics - the pro95 it was a heap of crap. I don't know why they put their name to this kind of stuff. They need to make clearer boundaries between their quality stuff and the crap.They should be called AT Economy or something like that.

Are you sure it's not PRO 10?
http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/PRO10HE.html

:D :D
Being a Japanese company, I would hope that all it's mics say "Made in Japan" on them. Maybe you can get a tour of the factory.

boingoman said:
:D :D
Being a Japanese company, I would hope that all it's mics say "Made in Japan" on them. Maybe you can get a tour of the factory.

Their proper mics do, the kitpak mics all have a fine gold "Made in China" sticker on them, honestly though I think they make great mics, why they associate themselves with such appalling crap I don't know.

I think I have a pretty good dynamic mic. I love the tone I get for my vocals, but it's tedious to work with mic'ing my instruments. Does pretty good with mic'ing my amp, though. I am going to keep it, even when I upgrade. I guess it's only sold here in Japan. I looked at other mics in the music stores in my area. They are way over priced here. An SM57 sells for about $135.00 US, that's way too much when you consider what MusicUSA or Musician's Friend sells them for. I am going to wait it out a bit, and jump on them when I get out of this hole.... Thanks for the responses.

paddyponchero said:
In my experience anything that's not on their site is made in china, so are their KITPAK mics. I've only ever had one of their pro mics - the pro95 it was a heap of crap. I don't know why they put their name to this kind of stuff. They need to make clearer boundaries between their quality stuff and the crap.They should be called AT Economy or something like that.

Are you sure it's not PRO 10?
http://www.audiotechnica.com/prodpro/profiles/PRO10HE.html
No, it says PRO 100 right on the sleeve. I looked at it as I was typing my thread. I wrote down exactly what it said, word for word. I am pretty certain it's only sold here in Japan. I can't find the AT Japan site (and probably couldn't read it if I did), to verify this, but I am quite sure.

Back