What did you do in the 797 Wars, Daddy?

lbzx

You want 'em? You got 'em! (And the price is right.)

This is from the pro.audio newsgroup:

Subject: Inside Scoop: Chinese Mics
Date: 03/23/2000
Author: Dindae Sheena

Hi RAP'pers,

Just moved to Beijing and have been here for the past 5 months... I've been following the tread for 797audio's Chinese mics. Finally got around to day to go visit their factory. What an experience! Got to take a shot of the factory from the outside before a guard approached me and stopped me from doing it. What'd you expect? A foreigner taking photographs for a state run company that's been around the 50's.

Met a nice lady there who showed me around the office and saw a whole wall of pictures of the previous leaders of China only using their mics. This factory was set up with the aid of a German Microphone Company.... Hmm 'wonder who?' The logos look familiar. Saw the mics that were used by all the previous & current leaders in a sealed showcase. That's a piece of history there. Chairman Mao used these mics and they have a red star in the centre of the mic screen. Deng Xiao Peng and Zhiang Zemin also used their mics.

OK, straight to the point.... These are THE guys who oem for RODE and Soundelux U95 (Vacuum Tube). Saw the NT2's (you won't believe the pricing!) and 'The Tube'. If anyone is interested in seeing the NT2's packaging here, I took a photo of it. Mail me and I'll send it over. It comes with a separate phantom supply, suspension, pop filter and all the cables (power & 2 mics).... All these in a black briefcase with a red velvet lining inside.

I am trying to work out a good price with them. If anyone of you guys are interested, I can get them for you too, at no extra charge. I suppose the only extra cost that is going to be incurred is the shipping, but from my knowledge, courier is very cheap here. I can go in there anytime as it is a 10 minutes drive from our studios. I can be reached at dindae@yyyd.com

Dindae Sheena Chief Engineer Y3D Productions Beijing, China ---------------------

You may notice that the Rode nt-2 took honors in the ProRec readers' choice awards. A closer look at the pix of the mic reveals the same shockmount that comes with the 2001 as well as a bunch of 797 mics.

Of course I have no idea of what that's supposed to mean, but I love the intrigue.

(This is another good one to keep the fur flying for the moment. You can find the mic in question newly listed on ebay.):
http://www.pmiaudio.com/bpmreviews.html

Lee

[This message has been edited by lbzx (edited 03-27-2000).]

Back