What is the best microphone to use for low brass?

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
What is the best microphone to use for recording low brass, a euphonium to be precise? What would work better, a dynamic or condenser? If the answer is a condenser, should it be a small diaphragm or large diaphragm? I'm soooo confused.

The MXL 551 looks good for instruments. Its a deal since it automatically comes with the MXL 550 (The 551 but for vocals instead), whole package for $70. If not that, then the SM57 is always the most popular choice around for $100. (P.S the mxl is a condenser and the sm57 is a dynamic, so if you go with the mxl, you'll need phantom power.)

Link to MXL: Amazon.com: MXL 550/551R Microphone Ensemble: Musical Instruments

Link to SM57: Amazon.com: Shure SM57-LC Cardioid Dynamic Microphone: Katherine Eberle: Musical Instruments

I would advise using a dynamic - something like an sm57 or sm58 would be a good place to start.

Start with the mic about a foot back from the bell of the instrument and experiment from there.

Brass instruments tend to be LOUD so having a less sensitive mic can sometimes be a bonus in my experience.

What is the best microphone to use for recording low brass, a euphonium to be precise? What would work better, a dynamic or condenser? If the answer is a condenser, should it be a small diaphragm or large diaphragm? I'm soooo confused.

A Euphonium is, IMHO, like a French Horn in that it is best recorded by reflection in a good acoustic space.

Personally, I would use an SDC condenser omni (my personal choice would be a Gefell M221 or a Sennheiser MKH 20 or 8020),

A wide-cardioid, would also be a good option - Gefell, Neumann, Sennheiser and Schoeps do good ones - or, possibly, a small-bodied LDC like a Gefell M950.

But a cardioid would still be OK if you wanted some directivity - eg: Gefell M300, Neumann Km183, Sennheiser MKH 40 or 8040. A small-bodied LDC may also be OK, eg: Gefell M930.

I hope this helps.

Very valid.
However I would assume the OP is a relatively new to recording and probably doesn't have >$1000 to spend on a mic this time round?

Which raises the question that hasn't been asked:

Do you have any mics/have acess to any mics already or are you looking to buy some for this? If so, what are they and/or what is the budget?

Very valid.
However I would assume the OP is a relatively new to recording and probably doesn't have >$1000 to spend on a mic this time round?

Which raises the question that hasn't been asked:

Do you have any mics/have acess to any mics already or are a you looking to buy some for this? If so, what are they and/or what is the budget?

I have an Audio Technica AT2035 LDC, a Shure BG-5.0 SDC and for a dynamic I have a Shure Unisphere I. My main concern is finding a mic that can capture the wide dynamic range that a euphonium is capable of, anywhere from pp to ff. Guitar players don't often change their dynamics that much during the course of a song so it is not as much of a problem recording them.

I have an Audio Technica AT2035 LDC, a Shure BG-5.0 SDC and for a dynamic I have a Shure Unisphere I. My main concern is finding a mic that can capture the wide dynamic range that a euphonium is capable of, anywhere from pp to ff. Guitar players don't often change their dynamics that much during the course of a song so it is not as much of a problem recording them.

Of those, I would use the AT2035 - it can handle high sound pressure levels and has a -10dB pad if needed.

But I would try recording by reflection than direct (as you would a French Horn).

You shouldn't assume if someone is a newbie that he can't afford a decent mic.

If he/she is a musician and spent a fortune on a musical instrument, they may well want yto be able to record that instrument with a decent microphone that will do the instrument justice.

When I started, I certainly bought the very best I could afford at the time and didn't buy cheap - my first microphones were equivalent to about two weeks wages at the time.

Of those, I would use the AT2035 - it can handle high sound pressure levels and has a -10dB pad if needed.

But I would try recording by reflection than direct (as you would a French Horn).

How would I mic for reflected sound? Would I point the mic toward the ceiling since the bell points up?

How would I mic for reflected sound? Would I point the mic toward the ceiling since the bell points up?

That's why I originally suggested an omni.

Listen (with your ears) to where the instrument sounds best, and put the mic. there.

I always bear in mind where the audience is sitting when the instrument is played - they only hear the high frequencies by reflection from the ceiling - so if you point a mic. into the bell, you would be recording a sound the audience will never hear.

You need space to record brass well.

If you are using a cardioid my first thoughts wouldbe toback a bit, place the mic. at about ear height and, maube,point it up slightly, so it captures both the direct and refected sound.

Back