What am I looking for, for "creed like" vocal

Pahtcub

I'm looking for a mic for a singer with kinda creed like, or low falseto vocals ie: alice in chains, staind, preal jam. I have an SM58 and it seems to get too bassy with the mic close, but then too thin with it farther away. Is this an EQ problem maybe? Sorry I don't have a sample, but what kinda mics would you use to record someone with these vocals?

Pat

Pahtcub said:
I have an SM58 and it seems to get too bassy with the mic close, but then too thin with it farther away. Is this an EQ problem maybe?

That's proximity effect. It is supposed to do that. I can't tell you what kind of mic you might want to look at, though. :confused:

I know it's supposed to do that, but I'm looking for a mic that picks up these sort of vocals well.

OneArmedScissor said:
That's proximity effect. It is supposed to do that. I can't tell you what kind of mic you might want to look at, though. :confused:

If you don't like the proximity effect you can
a) move back a little maybe use a popper stopper to keep you at the right distance
b) use and omni
c) get and RE20 or other low-proximity effect mic

Looking at a couple of live pics he seems to be using an audio-technica wireless and a shure wireless with a Beta57 on the end of it

To clear this up I know mic tecnique, but with this singing style after you get far enough away to not kill your lowend the mids have alreayd become too tiny and airy, there's no happy medium with this mic at least.

You may want to also research how they record those types of vocals by contacting some of the AE's involved. The microphone is just a small part of the equation as those vocals seem to dependent on audio processing vs.
less musically produced musical genres like singer/songwriter, etc.

Just hope your singer NEVER sings "God Bless America" in the Creed style ala
the Baseball World Series!:)

Chris

P.S. Your issue with the SM58 is finding the proper placement.
This can be a PITA if the singer tends to move around (like me).
The EV RE20, RE15, and RE16 are much easier.

U2 and many other acts have sold millions of records using the SM58, as you may know. Budget pre's and mixers (like Mackie or Behringer) tend not to
work well on the Shure line though.

Chris

Well I've been using the WORST pre's ever off an audio pro 12 chanell POWERED!!!! MIXER!!! I know I know, I'm going striaght to hell, but I'm selling that mixer and am going to be getting some M-Audio DMP-3 preamps, straight into the Delta 10/10, so I guess I'll stick with the 58s and see how that works. Thanks everyone.

Going with something like the DMP3 should be a big improvement.

Best of luck with your recordings, let us know how it goes.

Chris

P.S. An old AE trick is to tape where the singer should stand and/or use a
vocal pop screen to keep the vocalist a proper distance away.

An omni would get you zero proximity effect but might pick up too much of the room unless you have a very dead vocal booth. The RE20 or SM7B would be good choices. These are broadcast mics meant to be used close without much proximity effect.

Back