What about EV RE20?

I really don't think it's that big a thing. Keep in mind this mic has been around since the 60s, as far as I know.
There's a huge list of electronic equipment known to suffer from the foam degrading or, worse yet, turning to sticky goo!
Microphones, mixers, synthesisers...

I had an RE20 capsule replaced for free by Electrovoice not that long ago under their lifetime warranty.
This was a second hand microphone...They didn't even ask!

Those things are built like tanks. After the nuclear holocaust there will be nothing left but cockroaches and RE20s.

lol, that's true enough but the foam parts do degrade and there are known issues over time. Google re20 baby rattle - you'll get the idea.

While it's true and well documented, I don't think it's something anyone's going to face in a few years of ownership. I don't have facts and figures but I'm prepared to bet the affected mics are probably my age.

Very happy with RE20

Even as a newbie and complete novice, I've found the RE20 (spoken word only) to be great at keeping background noise to the minimum. The finesse and improved quality of better gear I'll personally never notice; the truck rumbling down the street I will.

There are no plans to ever upgrade or improve upon my simple setup. I am happy and content with what I have :D

Bubba Speare (who somehow managed to misspell his own login name during account creation)

Last edited:
You can use.an re-20 in any situation that you would use an sm7. It will work well for Agressive vocals, as well as kick drum, Bass guitar and electric guitar.

Who ever said that it isn't used for recording hasn't been around for very long. RE-20s have been a studio staple for decades. They just aren't terribly popular in the home recording scene, mostly due to ignorance and cost.

There's not enough reviews of the Procaster to be fair... But at the price I'm regularly tempted to pick one up for cheap to try!

http://recordinghacks.com/pdf/ev/RE20-EDS.pdf
Even EV doesn't show the off axis for their other (newer) RE's.
Then there's the RE20's cardioid Vai-D, and mics shaped like an RE20. ;) (Who knows, maybe they the got that down too.
About the only thing sometimes I'm not keen on with the RE20/vocals is that very top end -that kind of odd feathery' 8-10k thing it can have?
But it's such a cool work horse solution in so many cases.
A little eq?
Ok. >)

Maybe I'm missing something here, but, how about a Shure SM7b? Wonderful sounding and extremely versatile mic at the same exact price as the RE20. Major bang for the buck mic.

Back