Which way should i go

No, I probably shouldn't have jumped to the KSM104 as an example. It's a huge favourite of mine, especially for female voices. Compared to some top of the line studio mics it's "affordable"...but not in the HR forums context.

However, the OP already said he likes the sound of the Sennheiser 935 so I suspect he will be very happy with the EW135 rig he's talking about getting. The wireless will have a fairly similar sound and, as RF mics go, the EW100 series is very stable and reliable. Despite the use of companding, the sound at the receive end isn't all that far from a cabled version of the microphone.

Where we ARE in total agreement is that wireless mics are NOT an area to penny pinch and go for the cheap ones. I wouldn't recommend going any lower down the price range than EW100s or the Shure or Trantec equivalents. The cheapies are just too unreliable for my liking, before we even talk about sound quality.

The only place I took issue with your post was the fairly blanket dismissal of all radio mic systems as "mediocre" or "crap". I've been using them too long in a professional context to believe that. The decent ones--and they don't have to be £3000 Sennheiser SK series ones to be decent--are actually pretty darn good these days. And the benefits of not being tied to a cable can be worthwhile in performance terms.

You want me to keep an eye on things? At my age, staying vaguely conscious is hard enough....

HA HA HA ... I've got a year on you and I seem to be doing OK. It must have been the 60's that took it's toll on you. :drunk:

You must be real fun on road trips when your driving!! BOB, BOB WAKE UP!!!!! :eek:

Back