Warbleing/gargeling sound on playback

B'emtza

I have a new Shure SM57 properly hooked up, according to the manual. The recording looks clean going in but the playback comes with a warble like your gargeling your throat. It's not very loud but enough so you can hear it. It doesn't make any difference what recording program I use the sound is always there. Shure says it's in the mixing board. I have an MG16. Can anyone help with this?

Wow - that is definitley bad! Sounds like clipping almost with that choppy clicky sound....
Process of elimination:
Try a different cable, different mic, different interface, different software, try the mic on someone else's system.....

Give me a run down of your complete recording chain.

You know I've heard that noise before but I just can't put my finger on who, what, when and where ..... It will come to me sooner or later.

As above, process of elimination will find the fault.

That mixing desk is purely analog right? So, what interface are you using with it?

Take the recording part out of the chain and just monitor the desks output; See if the fault is audible there.

If not, do a recording of something straight into your interface with no mixer.

My guess is the problems more likely to be related to your interface, just cos of how it sounds. Is it possible to toggle your clock source, sample rate, bit depth etc?

Sound like clocking problems. Make sure you are syncing to a internally generated clock.

As moresound mentioned, a breakdown of your recording chain would be helpful.

You know I heard that noise today at an out door concert while running sound and when the band had finished I ran down to the stage from FOH to ask the guitarist what was up and he said that it was his delay pedal goofing up.

I know your not running a delay pedal but do you have an effect running at all? with or without your knowledge?

Yes may be clocking as well Jaygee.

Back