wait...the shure sm58 is actually the shure sm57 with a ball on the end?

diannaZ

hello

I read somewhere that shure sm58 microphone is actually the shure sm57 microphone with a pop filter ?
err....so if I remove the pop filter out of the sm58..... I now have a sm57 in my hands ?

hello

I read somewhere that shure sm58 microphone is actually the shure sm57 microphone with a pop filter ?
err....so if I remove the pop filter out of the sm58..... I now have a sm57 in my hands ?

Yep, basically the same microphone! Same capsule...same input sensitivity. The only difference between the two is a slight change in frequency response due to the large ball grill of the sm58.

hello

I swear, someone needs to sticky this question...
Next time you have a question, use the search funtion on that bar at the top right. We get tired of answering the same question over and over again. ;)
Yes, it's the exact same thing. If you unscrew that "ball" off the top of the 58, you have a 57 with some foam (which technically gives it appx. a 1dB variance of frequency response to the 57, but yes, it's essentially the same thing.)

I swear, someone needs to sticky this question...
Next time you have a question, use the search funtion on that bar at the top right. We get tired of answering the same question over and over again. ;)...
The sticky' thing's are cool.
But it's the nature of it that the same stuff will continually recycle as people come in to the game.
Half the time the searches suck anyway.

http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_sm58_specsheet.pdf
http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_sm57_specsheet.pdf

There you go. 'Same but spec different, and can sound a bit different not just from the 'ball and filter if I recall the 57 allows a tad closer to the diaphragm?

Actually that's not exactly true anymore...

When I first encountered the SM57/58 (back in the late 1960s to show my age) the replacement cartridge was exactly the same part number when ordered from Shure.

However, at some point in the intervening time, this has changed. The SM57 uses an R57 cartidge and the SM58 uses an R59 cartridge. There are a few obvious mechanical differences in the outer case. I'm sure (or is that shure?) that the actual gubbins inside are as near identical as they can be but every little change is generally reflected in tiny variations in frequency response, just like the grill and spacing make slight differences.

So...very, very similar, yes. Identical now? No.

Edited to add: if you scroll down a bit, this REPLACEMENT GUIDE has photos showing the physical differences between the cartridges now. From very distant memories, the old common cartridge looked more like the R57.

Even if they are basically the same capsule, they will not sound exactly the same, as they are not mounted the same. That being said, what the hell does it matter anyway? Take the friggen ball off. It will sound closer to a 57 than any human ear can tell. It won't make magic just because it is suddenly a 57. Only the source will decide if the mic is worthy.

Debate over. Move on. :)

The only big difference that I hate is ... if you drop a 58 the grill just gets slightly dented. The 57's plastic grill head will break.

:cursing:

The only big difference that I hate is ... if you drop a 58 the grill just gets slightly dented. The 57's plastic grill head will break.

:cursing:

57 is basically a 58 without a condom. Or helmet I suppose is more accurate. Both have been used in adult films. Well, those freaky kind that FOH guys share. :)

Nor should any singer be exposed to the last performer who used it. There should be law for this. 58's are a breeding ground for nasty stuff! lol!

I'm not saying their a bad microphone--but they (and especially the 58) are vastly over-rated. They're "industry standard", not because they're the best anymore but just because everyone uses them. Everyone sees them all the time, assumes they're great and therefore ask to use them too. The best thing I can say about the 58 is that it's tough as nails. In fact you can literally drive a nail with one!

The SM57 and 58 are 47 and 46 years old respectively. Since that time, others have made mics that actually sound better but the Shure ones have such a dominance in the industry that it can be hard to persuade people to try anything else. However, when they DO try other things, they often like them better. I've converted quite a few vocalists to Audix and Sennheiser hand held dynamics for example.

As I say, the 57 and 58 are far from bad and anyone who's been around the industry for a while can EQ for them with eyes shut. I just have a built in prejudice against 45+ year old gear still trading on past glories!.

57 is basically a 58 without a condom. Or helmet I suppose is more accurate. Both have been used in adult films. Well, those freaky kind that FOH guys share. :)

I have just spat a mouthful of wine...

I was telling my wife about this thread (don't ask why) and, when I told her about this comment, her reply was:

"No, nothing to do with condoms. A 57 is just a circumcised 58."

I think I've be boring her about microphones to too long....

why would you say that? I thought both sm57 and sm58 are industry standard and good microphones
I don't like them at all. They were great 40 years ago when I first started going full time with music but now I think every Ev mic kills them .... the new Sennheiser dynamics kill them ...... and I have no doubt there are dozens and dozens of other dynamics that also kill them.

I find them dull and congested sounding.

Back