Voice VS microphone

snakeyez

I'm guessing that some microphones treat singers differently than others.
Is there any rhyme or reason to it?
I'm just curious, wondering if the 4040 is the right choice (if it will work well with my voice). (i have about 200-300 budget for a mic)
For example...
A male singer with a deep voice, say Bing Crosby vs a female singer with a light whispy voice. I'm sure different mic's would suit them differently.

For me, I sound more like: Rascal Flatts / Dashboard confessional / Staind. My voice isnt that deep, but i can sing powerfully.

I'm looking to record some really nice sounding stuff. Based on that input about myself, would a 4040 be fitting (as a guess) or perhaps would i be treated better by a SM7 or sm58?
I'd also be recording acoustic guitar with the same mic.

Thanks in advance!

I picked up the 4040 last week and I can't believe how good it makes my voice sound. It sounds so full, rich and present now in the mix, and takes me considerably less effort to record a half decent vocal over the live SM58's I was using before. Picks up the full range of my voice without losing tone, which was happening drastically with the 58s.

Having said that, I've yet to try another quality mic on my vocals since I'm pretty new at this. I've heard a lot of good things about the SM7b and I'm hoping to pick one of those up as well in the new year if finances grant me.

Test em out if possible. The SM7 is supposed to be very warm and nice sounding.

Also, I have a fairly wide vocal range, from high to low, and the 4040 seems to work well with it.

I'm just curious, wondering if the 4040 is the right choice (if it will work well with my voice). (i have about 200-300 budget for a mic)

There aren't any mics that I can think of for under $300 that sound as good as the AT4040. It's a great sounding mic and the price is very reasonable.

Read the super thread. (aka "How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?")

It is a sticky for a reason.

It should answer most questions (or is at least a great starting place) for why to use certain mics in different situations.

>>AG

While the samples are cool, they're also running them through a Great River pre! :D I'd say the pre would contribute to a smoother sound.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking after i just listened to them. lol. Still sound nice though.
It'd be better if they had a better range of comparisons on their mic, like guys w/ deeper voices. Maybe even recorded with some different mics on their signal chain.

While the samples are cool, they're also running them through a Great River pre! :D I'd say the pre would contribute to a smoother sound.

I didn't listen to either of the vocal samples. But I know the acoustic guitar one sounds so nice because it's a Martin OM35. :eek: Could have been recorded with a Behringer setup and still sounded amazing. Maybe not as amazing...

Back