vocals are quiet?

LeeJ

really easy question this for someone who knows a bit about mikes.

I can remember whether my sennhieser mike is low or high impedence. It is really quiet when i plug it into my roland vs1680 to record some vocals. I have to really crank it up to almost distorting point. Is this mike the wrong impedence?

Would the impendence make so much difference?

The mic isn't the 'wrong' impedance. Are you plugging it into a preamp on your Roland, or into a line-level input?

Its an E series. Im plugging it into the roland straight into the back using an xlr socket

ginsu said:
dose th eRoland provide PHANTOM POWER to the mic? Get a premap. I like the ART TPS II. Nice and wrm with the tube.

Unless it's an e865 or an e614 then it does not need PHANTOM POWER. I would think that the mic pre on the roland should amplify your sennheiser just fine, but it is possible, though unlikely that the roland pre's just don't provide enough gain. In that case, you need a better pre. However, the ART TPS II and its "tewb warmth" would be enough to make me want to vomit repeatedly.

LeeJ said:
really easy question this for someone who knows a bit about mikes.

I can remember whether my sennhieser mike is low or high impedence. It is really quiet when i plug it into my roland vs1680 to record some vocals. I have to really crank it up to almost distorting point. Is this mike the wrong impedence?

Would the impendence make so much difference?

REALLY QUIET sounds like BAD MIC or BAD CABLE. To eliminate the problem being the pre, plug it into another channel.

Next, eliminate the cable (try another cable)

If it still doesn't go, bring it into your local shop for repair. They can probably plug it into a tester as well as into a P.A. for you to verify that the problem is the mic before taking it in for repair.

I have a feeling from Lee's posts before that he's using the mic for live stuff too. I expect he'd know if it wasn't working properly. And forget any ART pre ... there's way better for the money!

Back