Vocal Sound Help...Mp3s Incl. V69-1820

dsynthuhsize

I have a couple of questions. If anyone would help out, I would be VERY grateful.
Right now I want to get the best possible vocal sound I can get.
My voice:

Also my voice and studio work: http://www.purevolume.com/arvis
Style of Voice: Pop/Rock/Emo
Vocal style I want to achieve:

As you can hear, you can hear the slight crackling in his voice, the high end so present, the compression is so smooth.

My current setup (Essential equipment listed):
Isolated vocal booth with 2” foam and 4 bass traps at all corners
MXL V69ME  current mic of choice
EMU 1820
Sonar 3

Plugins used in most vocal setups:
Magneto Tube Warmth
Waves Audio Track set to -34 Threshold, 6-8 Ratio
L2 Ultramizer
Sontitus Reverb
Autotune 4

My question:

I find that the MXLV69 can be a bit too smooth, not enough bite, or top end sparkle, or IN YOUR FACE.
Now, this could be due to my:
1. A/D converters, although I believe they are supposed to be very nice.
2. My microphone (this is what I believe to be the weak link)
3. Or my plugins setup (may contribute)

Now taking these things in consideration, which mic for under $500 dollars will allow me to get the sound I am looking for, or to upgrade my current sound? I was thinking EV RE20, KSM32, & AT4033. I WISH I knew what the big boys used in their setups.

If you could please let me know 1. Which mic you recommend 2. Which compressor plug in to use. Or…..
4. ANY COMMENTS WELCOME!

Thank you SO very much.

Ben reece
Email at vertodesign.com

You didn't mention if you use an eq plugin. Try a high shelf, +2.5, q=.8, freq = 1500. Then cut 2 db at around 200hz, low Q. Then I would gently roll off all lows (low shelf) at around 50hz.

By the way, the vocals sound VERY buttery. I think a little proper eq and you're good to go. I like this kind of vocal sound. None of the artificially hyped pop sibilant sound.

Don't have my browser wired through my main monitors...but...

The vocal sound is fine. I like the way you use autotune - I couldn't hear it. I hear what sounds like a small/mid-size untreated room. Getting a better signal path will only amplify this problem.

The guitars are taking up too much space in the mix (also the open tuning at the outset is quite out of tune, fix that ;) ). They sound too close miced for a tune like this. Consider redoing them at a more natural distance. Turning them down and equing a hole for vocal you might also get the job done. Hope that's useful.

BTW I listened only to the first tune.

Last edited:
I just think you need to get this stuff engineered and mixed a little better, overall. I wouldn't fret so much over your tools -- they can probably get you there.

I mean the most obvious differences between the two samples you posted is that the latter one has much smoother and less obvious compression going on that draws the voice forward ... the voice was also EQ'd a little better, I'm guessing, and the mix itself was either EQ'd or arranged so that the voice had more of a pocket to sit in.

But I guess since this is the mic forum, I'll comment a little on your mic selection ... the v69, overall, has this scooped-out sound to it that I've never much cared for. A lot of people like it, and I'm sure it sounds like the cat's balls on the right voice. And I actually kinda' like it on yours, because your voice has already got a pretty aggressive midrange quality that it seems to tame somewhat.

But the big difference between your vocal sound and the other one you posted is that the one your striving for doesn't sound nearly as scooped out; it's more balanced with better midrange presence to it. That's the only really obvious difference ... other than better compression and overall engineering.

Now it just so happens the three that you mention; KSM-32, AT and Electrovoice, would all fit that bill (of more aggressive/present midrange). None of them has ever been accused of having a hole in the mids. :D You might also throw the Audio Technica 4040 or 4050 in to that mix. These might be some options for you to try out as a second or alternate vocal mic. Again, really no way of knowing until you try it out.

Nice post, by the way. You ask very specific questions, give good background info, and you even post examples. You should get some good recommendations with that method.

I really appreciate the responses so far. They are very valuable to me and I will definitely take them into consideration.

Patelt78:
I tried the eq settings you suggested. They actually worked very well, and it help make it stand out in the mix. I will definitely try using that in the future. However, It did seem to make the vocals sound a little "thin". I think I may be over proccessing....

krs:
The room is a vocal booth with 2" foam and 4 inch bass traps. EVERYwhere. IS there too much hi freq absorbtion? If so, what would you suggest? Acoustic panels? My thought on a vocal booth, was to add the space post recording. Unless the reflections from the walls add to most pro recordings, I think with the room I am doing fine.
It may be my reverb.....always have been confused with that one.
Good suggestion on the guitar. Would freq. would you suggest me eq out a hole?

chessrock:
First of all, I appreciate your comments. I tried hard to be clear with my questions and information.

I definitely need to sharpen up my listening skills when it comes to standards of vocal recording. I want to be AWESOME at recording vocals. NOt just decent. Like I am talking pro.
:) .
Thank you for confirming my mic selection, I did make an effort to do my research before posting a question. I was guessing the only way to know for sure was to let poeple know how my voice sounds. Thank you for the feedback on my voice and how you think it would sit with these mics.
If you had to choose which mic. Which one would you go with?

Looking forward to more help....
Thank you all....

dsynthuhsize said:
I want to be AWESOME at recording vocals. NOt just decent. Like I am talking pro.

Now why would you want to go and do a thing like that? You've got such a good voice. Don't ruin it by falling in to the engineer trap! :D :D

Based on what you like in a vocal sound, I'd probably try an AT 4050 or a Shure ksm-44 and see what ya think.

Hey, you guys are really good! I went to your site and checked out your stuff. Keep at it, I think you guys definitely have a very comercial sound. (hopefully you don't take offense to that :) )

freakin ridiculous drummer! (on tonight we shine). Although, some of the snare/tom work is dangerously close to sounding a bit too much - too busy.

Your vocals remind a bit of flickerstick. not sure if you've heard of them.

What verb are you using? Via mp3/heaphones sounded like "Mom's Living room" preset :D :D :D

just kidding...sort of:)

Can't see your room or hear what's going on in there. Take a look at your verb settings. Also re: making a hole for the vox, you can also try a little sidechain compression, that can realy help if done subtley.

nt1-a..... u want it...

rode nt1-a always gives me a very present top-end. Normally too harsh for alot of vocalists, but adds just the right sizzle to deeper voices and whispered passages.

your vox are very smooth which I like but you apparently don't...Have you tried a multiband comp and an exciter? I use an ultrafunk multiband, set the high shelf around 5k or so..compress it fairly heavily but BOOST it by as much as 6db..adds the shine without the sibilance..then throw the free rgc exciter on (just a little) for some harmonics...also, a dead room makes a pretty dead sound which is hard to compensate for with artificial sources...a good room sounds...good! Think Oceanway or the Power Station..but, all that said, your stuff sounds good..don't go overboard with the tweaking. Pro stuff is done in pro rooms with 20,000$ (and up) vocal chains and really experienced guys twirling the knobs so it is unrealistic to think we can do it at home..we can get close but that last 10% is a killer...if we could those guys would be out of work...don't forget a high quality mastering job too..ol' Bob Ludwig and Bernie Grundman can really make mixes shine too :)

Ray

One thing to remember is that the singer from taking back sunday probably has a voice that naturally does a bit of crackling on its own. I'm guessing your voice is probably slightly more 'muffled' naturally, which is totally a normal thing. That vox recording sounded great to me - if anything was lacking in high-end depth and air, it was the guitars!

Anyway, if you want a sound with more upper harmoics and crackling and stuff, you should maybe consider working on your technique. You're a great singer, but if you're shooting for a different sound, then you have to learn how to control all the different parts of your mouth to make them form vowels the way you want them formed. You could also take up smoking for that rough edge ;)
No, don't.

Back