Vocal 's'

Michael Willey

I've been using the Boss BR8 and, though it features input effects including de-esser for vocals, I've been having trouble eliminating the 'S' sounds. The final mix will be good except for those annoying S's. EQ and high end adjustments prove futile. Any suggestions? (I'm using an AKG D690 vocal microphone- cheap, but I've never had this problem before.)

Last edited:
What mic are you using?

Sometimes, a large condenser mic like the AKG C3000 can be harsh on the "s" sounds.

It could also be the way you've got your preamp adjusted.

Can you provide a little more info in these regards?

AKG D690- Cheap but I've never had this problem. I generally take a middle of the road approach to the highs and lows. In this case I've tried cutting way back on the highs, but I lose alot and the mix becomes muffled.

I'm assuming now (bad thing to do), but it sounds like you're EQing the sound before it goes into you br8. This may be hyping up those S's which are then harder to fix later on. If this is the case, try recording flat and add EQ later.

Mike

Actually, the BR8 has its own EQ in and I'm using it exclusively. I record the vocals without effect and add those later, but I try to EQ the 'S' out. Playback sounds doable, so I go with it. The BR8 can also EQ out so I "polish" the sound with that feature, cutting back a touch more on the high end. The dreaded 'S' is in the final mix. Better monitor speakers, maybe?- ( I've tried zeroing out all EQ-in)

Actually, the BR8 has its own EQ in and I'm using it exclusively. I record the vocals without effect and add those later, but I try to EQ the 'S' out. Playback sounds doable, so I go with it. The BR8 can also EQ out so I "polish" the sound with that feature, cutting back a touch more on the high end. The dreaded 'S' is in the final mix. Better monitor speakers, maybe?- ( I've tried zeroing out all EQ-in.)

Actually somme vocalists have a terrible sssssss so it's still there no matter what you do, heavy de-esser on the mixdown may help a little.

Keijo

Back