Vocal mics poll (info on the first post)

Vocal mics:

• Shure SM7

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Heil PR40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AKG C535

• Electro-Voice RE20

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • ADK Hamburg

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Studio Projects C1

• Total voters

MidoBan

Hi, looking for a vocal mic for a home studio, i prefer a warm/thick tone for the vocals. Will be using it for acoustic folk, maybe even light country music (just trying to clarify the music style..). Budget is around 350$.
The mics above are some that i found recommandations on.
You can also recommend on other mics.

Thanks

Last edited:
I Love the baby bottle by blue 50$over but one hell of a vocal mic very warm. or try the Blue Bird for $299. Hands down Baby Bottle would be the beginning of professional sounding microphones. I've also had very good experience with audio technica mics like the 2050 or 4040. I used to use the at2035 for vocal great for folk vocals.

I have the Hamburg and can comment on that. I had very high expectations of this mic when I bought it, but was ultimately rather disappointed with it. For one thing, I noticed that, tonally (i.e. in terms of the frequency spectrum), it sounded almost exactly like my CAD M179 which costs quite a bit less money. However, the main difference between the two is that the CAD was way, way "punchier." Everything that you record with it comes out much more forward sounding in the mix. Obviously, this is a very, very GOOD thing in a vocal mic, and the M179 ended up getting chosen over the Hamburg in EVERY occasion.

I suppose it might end up being used in a situation where I need an M179-type sound, but on an instrument that isn't going to be a "main" instrument in the mix. But this doesn't make it a very useful addition to the mic locker. Consequently, I recommend that people stay away from the Hamburg and just get an M179 instead. Of course, as far as I'm concerned, the M179 is such an incredibly useful and cost effective mic, I think that everyone that does much recording should have two or three of them, anyway.

I have the Hamburg and .... it sounded almost exactly like my CAD M179 which costs quite a bit less money. However, the main difference between the two is that the CAD was way, way "punchier."

classic :-)

I love the m179 and have used it on vocals, especially female vocals, many times and the results have always been excellent. It's not a "vocal" mic in that it doesn't have a presence peak or any magical sheen in the hf range. but it's excellent all the same.

I find on vocals if you get up closer than with some other mics you can really get a fantastic presence out of it, not just the bass increases but just the intimacy. which is true of all mics of course.

I would certainly look at the new Sennheiser MK 4 - I think this is within budget (I'm not familiar with prices in the US, but what it is in the UK I think it will be in budget).

+1 - all of the stereotypical "this is what a LDC sounds like" magic seems to exude from the MK 4. it has a larger than life sound. nto always what you want in the mix, but tremendous during tracking.

...i prefer a warm/thick tone for the vocals.

I guarantee the latest ADK Hamburg Mk 8 model will outperform all the others on that kind of sound...and still be able to double-up on other duties.

Tone is such a subjective thing...and you also have to consider the entire signal chain...not just the mic.

I have the ADK Hamburg, Vienna, TL, TC and TT/CE mics. Of course, the TT/CE is my go-to vocal mic, but it's out of your price range...though I think the Hamburg sounds quite good when matched up with a decent preamp. ADK has several other models...so you might consider them too.

Back