Vocal Mic--Shure SM7B vs. Rode NT1000

anonymous.bosh

I am extremely strapped for cash, but I need a vocal mic a bit better than an Oktava MK-219. The plan is to spend around $350 on the best vocal mic I can purchase, and then get the cheapest half-way decent preamp I can (as I am currently using the preamp built in to the M-Audio Fasttrack), which looks like it might be the M-Audio DMP.

In comparing these two, I've no idea where to start. I'd appreciate any input.

Buy the sm7, thank me later

i swear to god i clicked on the reply button and typed in "the sm7 because that's what big kenny is going to tell you", then i backed out of there because i didn't want to have to explain who big kenny is and why he is so fond of the sm7.

i swear to god i clicked on the reply button and typed in "the sm7 because that's what big kenny is going to tell you", then i backed out of there because i didn't want to have to explain who big kenny is and why he is so fond of the sm7.

then i was going to mention how very different the meaning of extremely strapped for cash is between the OP and myself.

I am extremely strapped for cash. The plan is to spend around $350

'in college, man. the only reason i have more than five bucks in my pocket is christmas, and this will be the only time i have more than fifty until i get a summer job.

also: any suggestions as to not-horrible preamps for less than $150 would be greatly appreciated. i'm not sure i'll be able to afford the DMP.

Get the SM7 you can get the Line6 UX1...which makes a good duo with that mic...as long as you sing on the loud side...it has 60 dB of gain...but a Neve 1073 model which will give you the same sound of Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam.

Personally that is the most economical way you can go and get a sound you will hear on a major label release anywhere.

you have about $332 more than i have right now. :p

how much more of an upgrade from the Oktava MK-219 are you expecting for that budget? and what's that mic NOT doing for you that you think a different mic will fix? and a great mic will be hindered by a "not-horrible preamp".

have you checked into the MK-219 mod?

i guess the revised question of this thread becomes, "with $450 dollars total, what can I do to improve the quality of my vocals?" so far my set-up is: Oktava-219 or Shure SM57 -> M-Audio Fasttrack -> Cubase ->way-too-many-plug-ins

if a demonstration of my range/timbre would help, i can record some samples.

actually ended up going with a rode ntk

and am pretty happy.

my recorded voice now sounds exactly like the way i hear myself sing.

Hi Anonymous,

I am new to the forums and new to home recording but am also interested in getting an NTK.

Would you be willing to share how you were able to get one at your price point?

Thanks so much.

Doug

That mic for his voice may sound great but maybe not for yours if you can check out a few others before you purchase a mic. Any big chain store can help you there they have them all out for people to try his other option was a shure SM 7b be sure to check that one out along with a MXL V67g.

Get the MK219 mod by Marik

I own an Sm7b and I find it useful. I also own an m88 that I think sounds even better on my own voice. However, I also own an mk219 that I had modded by Mark Fuksman aka "Marik" on these boards and it blows either of those dynamics away for male vocals. It also blows away the at4040 if my brothers. I don't know what the exact cost is to have it modded but I think I paid somewhere around a hundred and fifty bucks. I will try to put up a clip later if I have time.

Hi Anonymous,

I am new to the forums and new to home recording but am also interested in getting an NTK.

Would you be willing to share how you were able to get one at your price point?

Thanks so much.

Doug

'just ended up deciding I'd get a decent preamp when I could afford it--and this mic still sounds fantastic through the M-Audio Fasttrack Pro preamps, so whatever. I blew about $440 or so on it, including taxes.

I own an Sm7b and I find it useful. I also own an m88 that I think sounds even better on my own voice. However, I also own an mk219 that I had modded by Mark Fuksman aka "Marik" on these boards and it blows either of those dynamics away for male vocals. It also blows away the at4040 if my brothers. I don't know what the exact cost is to have it modded but I think I paid somewhere around a hundred and fifty bucks. I will try to put up a clip later if I have time.

'sounds really interesting. Should one just contact the guy, or does he have a website...?

Back