Shure SM58 - 4 each
Shure SM86 - two each
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319
Marshall MXL 603 - 2 each
Oktava MK-012-01 - 2 each
MXL V57M

It was suggested in another thread that I need a better vocal mic than what I have. I have a few thoughts about which way to go but would like opinions.

I have about $500 right now to spend and am thinking about the two Oktava mics that are on sale right now at GC. The ML-52 and the MXL2500. I could get both of these for $400.

Another option would be the Rode NTK. I have heard a lot of good things about this mic but wonder how much different it is than my NT1000.

I've also heard good things about the Shure KSM 44 and the BLUE Dragonfly. They are a bit more money but maybe worth saving for rather than the other options I've mentioned.

I would love to have some suggestions from some of you folks who have experience with any of these mics I've mentioned.

If the Oktava mics are a good option I would like to know in time to take advantage of the sale a GC.

Thanks, Terry

still4given said:

I've also heard good things about the Shure KSM 44 and the BLUE Dragonfly. They are a bit more money but maybe worth saving for rather than the other options I've mentioned.

According to their reputation, I would do this.

still4given said:
I have the following mics;

Mics;
Shure KSM32
Shure SM58 - 4 each
Shure SM86 - two each
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319
MXL V57M

It was suggested in another thread that I need a better vocal mic than what I have. I have a few thoughts about which way to go but would like opinions.

I have about $500 right now to spend and am thinking about the two Oktava mics that are on sale right now at GC. The ML-52 and the MXL2500. I could get both of these for $400.

Another option would be the Rode NTK. I have heard a lot of good things about this mic but wonder how much different it is than my NT1000.

I would love to have some suggestions from some of you folks who have experience with any of these mics I've mentioned.

If the Oktava mics are a good option I would like to know in time to take advantage of the sale a GC.

Thanks, Terry
It looks to me like you have a lot of ground already cover... and all pretty much with budget mic's. May be at this point, it's time to make sure the rest of your system is up to power with your mic's. If your system is up to power... may be it's time to take the next step and get high end mic's and preamps?

You have a good selection. What are you trying to achieve that you can't right now? If you are just craving more mics, which I completely understand, I think you'd be happier in the long run with one higher priced mic than two budget mics. If I was looking in that price range I'd check out the NTK, the Studio Projects T3, the Neumann TLM-103, the ADK mics, the Groove Tubes offerings, and the Blue mics.

Re: Re: Vocal mic/s $500 to spend

DJL said:
It looks to me like you have a lot of ground already cover... and all pretty much with budget mic's. May be at this point, it's time to make sure the rest of your system is up to power with your mic's. If your system is up to power... may be it's time to take the next step and get high end mic's and preamps?

That's a good point. This is what I have.

Mics;
Shure KSM32
Shure SM58 - 4 each
Shure SM86 - 2 each
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319
MXL V57M

Mic Preamp/Mixer;
M-audio DMP3
Mackie 1604 VLZ

Compressors;
DBX 266xl - 2 each
Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400

P4 1.7
Delta 1010

I was thinking about getting a better pre but for the money, folks seemed to think that I couldn't really improve that much over my DMP3. Some folks said I was lacking a good vocal mic. That is what spurred this thread.
I can probably swing the money for a KSM 44 or Dragonfly but trying to convince my wife that I need a $2000 mic when I already have all the mics I have is, well, let's not go there.

Originally posted by BradD You have a good selection. What are you trying to achieve that you can't right now? If you are just craving more mics, which I completely understand, I think you'd be happier in the long run with one higher priced mic than two budget mics. If I was looking in that price range I'd check out the NTK, the Studio Projects T3, the Neumann TLM-103, the ADK mics, the Groove Tubes offerings, and the Blue mics.

As far as what I'm trying to achieve, well, I'm just working on improving and adding to my studio equipment. Trying to make the next most logical purchase. I like mics so that is something that interests me, but I am open to other suggestions for gear if something else makes more sense. And yes, I do have a lot of budget mics. This is for my home studio that will probably never make a dime. It's mainly for my enjoyment and whatever I can do to help the music ministry at my church. So, while I'd like to own the best, I really can't aim that high.

Blessings, Terry

Re: Re: Re: Vocal mic/s $500 to spend

still4given said:
That's a good point. This is what I have.

Mics;
Shure KSM32
Shure SM58 - 4 each
Shure SM86 - 2 each
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
Oktava MK319
MXL V57M

Mic Preamp/Mixer;
M-audio DMP3
Mackie 1604 VLZ

Compressors;
DBX 266xl - 2 each
Behringer Multicom Pro MDX4400

P4 1.7
Delta 1010

I was thinking about getting a better pre but for the money, folks seemed to think that I couldn't really improve that much over my DMP3. Some folks said I was lacking a good vocal mic. That is what spurred this thread.
I can probably swing the money for a KSM 44 or Dragonfly but trying to convince my wife that I need a $2000 mic when I already have all the mics I have is, well, let's not go there.

As far as what I'm trying to achieve, well, I'm just working on improving and adding to my studio equipment. Trying to make the next most logical purchase. I like mics so that is something that interests me, but I am open to other suggestions for gear if something else makes more sense. And yes, I do have a lot of budget mics. This is for my home studio that will probably never make a dime. It's mainly for my enjoyment and whatever I can do to help the music ministry at my church. So, while I'd like to own the best, I really can't aim that high.

Blessings, Terry

You should look at the RNP at this point. The DMP3 is good, but would only get you 1/2 way there. For the $500, the best buy would be the RNP. Anything better than the rNP would go in excess of $1000.

I think what you need to do is devise a plan on where you want to go, and what kind of quality you want to achieve. And your gear-purchasing strategies should be drafted to reflect and coincide with this plan.

I always believe in using the "weakest link" theory, first. Look at your setup, and ask yourself what's your weakest link? Upon first glance, I wouldn't say your mic locker is it. Your compressors and outboard gear rack, however, is another story. And I'm basing this on the fact that I see the word "Behringer" on one of your items, and "dbx 266" on another. :D It might be time for an RNC or two . . . and perhaps a dbx 160x for yet another shade.

And we haven't even addressed the really important stuff yet . . . How are your monitors? How is your monitoring room treated? Have you calculated where potential standing waves might interfere in either your tracking or mixing environment? Do you have a good balance between diffuse and absorbent materials in your tracking room(s)? When was the last time you visited home depot? :D

Excellent post Chess. Need should overpower want even though it usually isnt as attractive. Getting a brand new mic is usually a lot funner than buying some 703. Your post nails it

Scinx said:
Getting a brand new mic is usually a lot funner than buying some 703.

Do you think guys like John Sayers and Ethan Winer get all giddy when their Owens Corning shipments arrive the way we do about mikes? I suppose I'd get pretty excited over a brand new diffusor -- you know . . . the space-agey looking deals with all of the wood spikey things all over it.

I hate having to spend money on that stuff, but I have to admit, I do kinda' get excited when it arrives. It does still qualify as audio stuff, after all, doesn't it?

chessrock said:
I hate having to spend money on that stuff, but I have to admit, I do kinda' get excited when it arrives. It does still qualify as audio stuff, after all, doesn't it?

Yes, especially when what REALLY matters is what in the heck and in what environment one is pointing the mic at in the first place...

But if your bent on mics, how about a pair of 421's or 441's off ebay?

If you're talking strictly about a vocal mic, the KSM32 is rather similar to the 44, so the KSM44 wouldn't be my first choice. I picked up an Oktava ML52 about a week or two ago, and Mikey likes it! Yea, I've heard all the QC nightmares, but the Oktavas have delivered, as a rule.
But for bang for buck utility, NTK is not a real bad choice. It's about a 2 trick poney for me. Good for some vocals, and some guitar. The bitch is, you're so close to a solid studio workhorse that will stand the test of time, such as a used AKG C414(any model), or a Sennheiser MD441, Shure SM7, or other kickass dynamic.
Or, you can expand your collection of entry level mics, and mess with them, and great sound can be made that way. Expanding sideways might be OK at this point. Save for that Brauner/Neumann/Soundelux/B.L.U.E., or whatever. and buy that ML52 ribbon and a Studio Projects C-1. That'll certainly give you two new sounds as different as night and day.-Richie

Why do you need four cheap LDs that probably sound somewhat similar--hyped in the high-end?

Why do you need two pairs of SDs that IMO sound pretty similar? Usually one pair is enough.

If you do decide to go for a better mic, consider keeping the KSM32, MK319, and two MK012s and selling the V57, NT1000, B1, and the two 603s on ebay. You could probably net between $450 - $550. Now add that to your existing $500 and you have a whole new microphone ball game.

Wouldn't you rather have these in your collection:
1 AT 4047
1 Shure SM7

Instead of these:
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
MXL V57

Why do you need four cheap LDs that probably sound somewhat similar--hyped in the high-end?

Why do you need two pairs of SDs that IMO sound pretty similar? Usually two is enough.

If you do decide to go for a better mic, consider keeping the KSM32, MK319, and two MK012s and selling the V57, NT1000, B1, and the two 603s on ebay. You could probably net between $450 - $550. Now add that to your existing $500 and you have a whole new microphone ball game.

1 AT 4047
1 Shure SM7

Instead of these:
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
MXL V57

tdukex said:

Why do you need two pairs of SDs that IMO sound pretty similar? Usually two is enough.

1 AT 4047
1 Shure SM7

Instead of these:
RODE NT 1000
Studio Projects B1
MXL V57

Wow, you threw me a curve ball. Have you used an NT1000? I love that mic. The B1 is the best all around mic I have IMO. Really seems strange to me that you would suggest keeping the MK319 and getting rid of those two, except that the MK319 wouldn't be worth selling. Can you tell it's my least favorite mic? :D
I think I would like to have an AT 4047 and an SM7, but I don't know that for sure, since I've never heard either. I know I don't want to sell any of my mics and I think I alrady explained about why I won't be getting any +$1000 mics.

As far as the SD mics I have, I don't think they are the same at all. Can be used for similar things but I think they sound different enough to warrent having both and I got them for $50 each. I'm keepings them for sure.

I think my KSM32 is a nice mic and seems well built, but I haven't found one voice that I prefered it on to at least one of my other mics.

Originally posted by Chessrock
I think what you need to do is devise a plan on where you want to go, and what kind of quality you want to achieve. And your gear-purchasing strategies should be drafted to reflect and coincide with this plan.

I always believe in using the "weakest link" theory, first. Look at your setup, and ask yourself what's your weakest link? Upon first glance, I wouldn't say your mic locker is it. Your compressors and outboard gear rack, however, is another story. And I'm basing this on the fact that I see the word "Behringer" on one of your items, and "dbx 266" on another. It might be time for an RNC or two . . . and perhaps a dbx 160x for yet another shade.

And we haven't even addressed the really important stuff yet . . . How are your monitors? How is your monitoring room treated? Have you calculated where potential standing waves might interfere in either your tracking or mixing environment? Do you have a good balance between diffuse and absorbent materials in your tracking room(s)? When was the last time you visited home depot?

I'm a general contractor, unfortunately I'm at home depot waaaay too much. :D

You make good points. The room I'm working in right now needs work. I do need to get to that and I have access to the tools, ability and materials for the job, it's the time I don't have right now.

My monitors are at present;

JBL 4412 - pair
HHB Circle 3 nearfields - pair
Yamaha NS1000 - pair
Hafler Pro230 power amps
Technics SU-V660 Integrated power amp
Berhringer Ha4600 Headphone amp
Sony MDR-7506 cans

Better nearfields are probably in order except that my room would probably nulify any gain I would get from them.

Please know that I am not diregarding any of this advise. I am concidering all of it. I would just like to have as much information as I can so that I can make good decisions.

I have been thinking about the RNC, as a matter of fact the other thread that caused me to start this one was about getting the RNP/RNC combo. A lot of folks told me that they though my mic locker was weaker and thus this thread.

Now, If I haven't discouraged everyone from posting, Please give me some more ideas. :cool:

Blessings, Terry

$500 is a funny ammount... Theres not alot of options at that price, Id go for that Octava Ribbon, and upgrade cables or find a used guitar or something.

$500 is a funny ammount... Theres not alot of options at that price, Id go for that Octava Ribbon, and upgrade cables or find a used guitar or something.

still4given said:
A lot of folks told me that they though my mic locker was weaker and thus this thread.

If you can't get good results with that collection, then something else is probably lacking.

chessrock said:
If you can't get good results with that collection, then something else is probably lacking.

I believe you're right about that. I'm not really saying that I'm getting poor results. Certainly my equipment is better than my ability to use it. I just enjoy buying new tools, toys, equipment, etc. It's part of what makes this hobby fun for me. That may rub some folks wrong who are doing this to try and break into the business. I have no such desire. I really just want to learn what I can about all of this so that I can make good recordings of friends and myself while I can still stand to hear myself sing. :D

This is just for my home studio. It's mainly for my personal use and I do want to get good enough to do recording of my church's choir and the like. I'm not really trying to get gear that will attract talent. The name on the mic case isn't as important to me as how it sounds once recorded.

Originally posted by darrin_h2000

$500 is just to establish a range. It's what I have set aside right now. I add to that each week.

For instance, right now I'm looking at a GC flier. It has the following mics on sale;
Oktava ML-52 $199
Oktava MKL2500 $199
AKG C414B/ULS w/ free K240M Cans $799
BLUE Dragonfly $699
BLUE Baby Bottle w/ Shock mount and pop filter $499
Oktava MKL-2500 / Presonus MP20 pre $499

All of these are within my budget. I'm just trying to get an idea of what might be the most logical next purchase.

I am interested in that Oktava Ribbon but so far I've only heard a couple of folks say they have used and like it. I heard other say it's only marginal of need some modification to make it good. That worries me a bit.

Thanks again for all the advise. I appreciate all of it.

Blessings, Terry

Back