Vocal Mic...$500.00 budget...??

cnix

I am considering upgrading my Studio Projects C1 for vocals with a budget of $500.00. My voice is low baritone and my music is mellow, with me doing all the harmonies also. I do NOT want a mic that will make my voice sound darker than it already is!! :eek: I use the Studio Projects C4's for acoustic guitar and other various things, so this will at this time be a 1 horse mic. My chain is Mic to RNP to RNC to Korg 16 track workstation.

I am considering the SP T3 but am interested in hearing from experienced people with their thoughts, and other mic's I should consider based on my needs that I am not aware of.

Thanks for you opinions!!

cnix said:
I am considering upgrading my Studio Projects C1 for vocals with a budget of $500.00. My voice is low baritone and my music is mellow, with me doing all the harmonies also. I do NOT want a mic that will make my voice sound darker than it already is!! :eek: I use the Studio Projects C4's for acoustic guitar and other various things, so this will at this time be a 1 horse mic. My chain is Mic to RNP to RNC to Korg 16 track workstation.

I am considering the SP T3 but am interested in hearing from experienced people with their thoughts, and other mic's I should consider based on my needs that I am not aware of.

The T3 reminds me of the AKG C12, so it might be a great choice for your voice. It has a top end sheen without sounding peaky or harsh. I finally broke down and ordered one yesterday for the studio.

Take it from Harvey Gerst. He's one of homerecording.com's most experienced contributors. The Studio Projects T-3 is a dynamite value. And since you're already familiar with the company, I don't have to tell you how great the customer support is. Good luck!

We also just bought an MXL V6 and a pair of MXL 604's, and we're going to be trying out the ADK Hamburg and Vienna. The Vienna is supposed to be voiced similer to the C12, too.

The multi-pattern T3 DID impress the hell out of me when we tested it a while back. I thought it was the best mic in the entire Studio Project line at the time.

Shure SM7

Now I am being verbose because the board won't accept posts under 10 characters and "Shure SM7" is only 9 characters.

I feel your pain. The SP products are all a little on the warm side, so if I were you, Id get a mic to kind of counter balance that. Audio Technica 4050 is , in my opinion, the best choice for you. I can say this with authority because I have the same issue. I am a classical singer, a Basso Profundo(a Bass who typically sings an octave below the normal basses) and can vocalise down to double low Ab. My voice is in the cellar, and whenever I talk to most people, they can feel the resonance in their chests. I spent years looking for the right mic to hold my voice. Two did it. 1.) the Royer Ribbon and the Audio Techica 4050. Again, the 4050 is your best choice, in my opinion. Ive probably auditioned 70 or so mics on my voice. It goes for about 400 on ebay(oftentimes almost mint). I stand completely behind this reccomendation. The SP mic is a good mic, but wouldnt do your timbre/color of voice any favors. Low bass/baritone voices are sort of an uncharted territory..Those of us who have these voices are few and far between. Most males voices lie in the Baritone/2nd Tenor Range. That being said, most mics were built to accomodate those voice types. It takes a very specific color of mic to handle the weight/color/depth of the cellar singers...

trb

cnix said:

This is all very interesting, the talk about the quality of sound of the SP T3 and the points about the AT4050 on lower voices. I will add the 4050 to my list as I search for the perfect vocal mic for me.

Harvey Gerst said:
We also just bought an MXL V6 and a pair of MXL 604's, and we're going to be trying out the ADK Hamburg and Vienna. The Vienna is supposed to be voiced similer to the C12, too. The multi-pattern T3 DID impress the hell out of me when we tested it a while back.

Harvey, if you have the opportunity to post regarding your experience with the mics you mentioned above once you have some time with them I'd be grateful.

A Shure KSM44 could be in your price range. If you can save up another 100 bucks you might be able to get an AT4060 tube which is a stunning mic at any price.

tryptophan said:
Take it from Harvey Gerst. He's one of homerecording.com's most experienced contributors. The Studio Projects T-3 is a dynamite value. And since you're already familiar with the company, I don't have to tell you how great the customer support is. Good luck!
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but the T3 is not the end-all of microphones. It is a great mic "possibly" for this person's voice, but not necessarily every voice.

From his description, it's definitely a mic he should consider, but so is the ADK Vienna (which is also voiced similar to an AKG C12).

I haven't used the Shure condensers, but otherwise this thread is spot on, IMO. I'd be looking at one of these two:

- SP T3
- AT AT4050

Every day I work with people who will swear that every singer in the world just needs a U87 slapping up, but with these two mics and a Shure 545, I reckon you could cover 99% of vocalists very competetly. Plus the T3, AT4050 and 545 (old SM57) are all going to sound excellent on a range of other sources.

noisedude said:
Every day I work with people who will swear that every singer in the world just needs a U87 slapping up, but with these two mics and a Shure 545, I reckon you could cover 99% of vocalists very competetly.

That's probably a fair assesment. They're different enough to where what wouldn't work with one ... might work with the other, and so on. I'd switch out the old 545 with an SM-7, but close enough. :D

I'd also throw in a few cheapies; an mxl-990 or an MCA-SP1 (same mic, basically) for when you need something really bright and articulate (brighter than the T-3) ... and an Oktava MK-319 for when you need something much darker and less articulate.

chessrock said:
That's probably a fair assesment. They're different enough to where what wouldn't work with one ... might work with the other, and so on. I'd switch out the old 545 with an SM-7, but close enough. :D
I was thinking about what you could buy for the price of a 2nd-hand U87, but if you were buying a new one, you could have the SM-7 in for that money too ... and still have a few quid left over for some Oktavas and MXLs. :)

I notice no one (I think) has mentioned the Blue Baby Bottle. Where would this one stack up with the others mentioned?

Ev Re-20, At 4050

cnix,

I had a radio programme for six years and had a choice of: AT 4050, AKG 3000, Neumann U89, and Electrovoice RE-20. My voice is low, but soft and of course, this is all speaking.

The 4050 and U89 were quite good, but the U89 made my voice seem light and thin. It's also expensive! The AKG was just harsh and sibiliant -I hated the 3000 in every way.

The clear winner was the EV RE-20. Several other announcers at my station preferred this one over the U89. It's quite uncoloured, smooth and natural and gives a solid sound without boominess. I learned later that Bonnie Raitt uses or used the RE-20 and I imagine she can choose anything made in the World. I think the RE-20 is about $400 now.

The AT 4050 has distinct possibilities too and for a very deep voice that one might be worth trying.

I've tried my beloved Oktava MC012s and these are just terrible for voice- I'm keeping them listening to the big Kawai.

Cheers,

Bambi B

cnix said:

The T3 is a nice mic for open top and some sheen as Harvey mentioned. No mic in that price range is going to kill on all vocals though.

War

Back