vocal fx

zombieholic

hello everyone, i am the singer in a heavy metal band, and i was interested about some vocal fx. i was interested in a type of distortion that will make it sound like multiple people saying the same thing at once. not a chorus effect, but kind of a "compounding effect". examples of this would be fear factory and deftones and staind. the other effect i'm looking for is the "crowd chant" you know, sounds like a crowd saying something in unison. like the beginning of anitchrist superstar by marilyn manson. well thanks a lot for any advice you can give me. later

Digitech makes a unit called the "Vocalist Performer" that would give you a second vocal (in harmony) and is foot-switchable for stage use. They also have an upgraded unit called "VWS Vocalist Workstation/EX Processor", which will do up to five seperate harmony vocals on top of yours, and has other vocal effects built in. These units cost $325 and $500, respectively. You can also try using the "detune" section of a digital multi-effect unit made for guitar, which does the same thing as the Vocalist Performer for half the price. I've used my DOD FX7 for live vocals and it worked out pretty well. Don't use it for studio work, though... it sounds like you have a Martian singing back-up.

Back