Vocal Condenser Mic Under $300?

RecoDino

Hello all, new member here.

I'm looking for some insight on a good condenser mic for my small home studio. My budget is around $300.

This mic will be used 100% for vocals.

I currently use a Studio Projects C1. It's a very good mic for the price but I'm not really crazy about its top end and how it handles the female voice. It's pretty decent on male vocals. I've pretty much assigned it to full-time duty as a secondary acoustic mic.

With said budget, what is a good option for vocals? I'm keep hearing about the CAD e300 and the Rode NT1a.

Thoughts?

AKG C2000B
Oktava MK319

Both very good mics on female vocals without the high end sizzle of a C1.

Cheaper alternative- Marshall Electronics MXLV67G

Good luck-Richie

AKG C2000B
Oktava MK319

Both very good mics on female vocals without the high end sizzle of a C1.

Cheaper alternative- Marshall Electronics MXLV67G

Good luck-Richie

Hi Richard, thanks for your response. Just to clarify, are both those suggestions suited for male vocals as well?

I record primarily female vocalists and myself, I'm a baritone.

Well, the answer, unfortunately, is- maybe. Vocal mics are like shoes. They either fit, or they don't, and no one can look at you or listen to you, and know what shoe or what mic will fit you. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the MK319 would work better on most women, the V67G would work better on most men, and the C2000B is the best compromise. But- that said, there is *no* mic so good that it does not make somebody sound awful, and that includes main vocal mics that cost thousands. Your budget is not thousands. I recommend C2000B because it is a misunderstood, undervalued mic that you can find used within your budget, and very close to your price point new. It is one of the most versatile inexpensive mics I know of, and it lacks that Chinese high end hype that you (and I) want to avoid in a main vocal mic. It also works very well on a wide variety of other sources. Other swiss-army options include Shure KSM32 and any Audio-Technica mic in the 40XX series. Furthermore, do not be sucked in by the idea that AKG C3000B is a better mic than C2000B (it isn't- it costs more and is less useful), or that the Chinese made Perception series are just as good (they do exactly what your C-1 does).-Richie

Absolutely, Darrin. The C1000S is much better- if you need a nightstick or a marital aide (what's the difference, anyway?)-Richie

Back