Variable Impedance Preamp

EveningSky

I recently bought an ART gold chanal preamp for instrument and mics.
There is variable impedance knob on each channel.
What is this good for?
How should I adjust it?

I also have a Yamah DG Stomp with high and low impedance settings for instrument connection.
Again, what is this good for?
How do I adjust it?
Thank you,
ES

Variable impedance has to do with how much signal is passed from source (mic) to load (preamp). The different settings will probably sound different...experiment.
On your stomp box, the high impedance input accepts a 1/4" (regular) guitar cord, while the low impedance takes an xlr (mic) cord.
Good luck and have fun.

Terry

Thank you Terry for your responses.
To the ART preamp, I tried to experiment but I am not sure what I am hearing or what the difference is when I vary the input impedence. Are so saying that the mic signal would be weaker or stronger, or is there a qualitative difference?
Yours,
ES

ES,

In my experience, you can hear a difference in the presence, eq, and strength of the signal.
There are other elements that contribute to how you may or may not hear the differences. Quality of monitors, A/D/A converters, cabling, etc.
I used to use a Mackie 1604VLZ for tracking and monitoring. Once I started purchasing better microphones I found that the sonic nuances of the mics seemed to be lost in the Mackie channel preamps. I ended up getting dedicated mic preamps for tracking and connecting the sound card directly to a Presonus headphone amp, which passes the signal through to the poweramp for monitoring. The differences in mics, preamps and variable impedances are much more pronounced, now.
Don't rule out anything in your signal. If you have top notch gear, but then use cheap cables to connect to your monitors, the cheap cables may not allow the nuances to pass through. This can happen exponentially throughout the signal chain.
If you monitor with headphones, you may also find that the audio signal tranfers differently through different brands and models.

You are asking good questions, and your curiosity will serve you well. Use the search feature at the top of the page and you'll find hours of reading on most subjects related to recording.

Terry

The first time I really used a variable impedance knob was on the Focusrite Twin Track Pro. I felt the same way. I understood impedance well enough, but variable? I hooked up an SM57 (pretty basic) and slowly turned the knob while speaking into it. It wasn't hard for me to not only hear how much better the mic sounded but at which settings. I loved that knob and used it on every mic to get the most out of each one. The SM 57 had a lot of difference but my Rode NT5s was great but with a slightly better difference. This is a great tool for budget studios. It's good you have it. Practice with it and note the settings. I wrote the settings on the side of the mic on a piece of transparent tape. Good Luck,
Rod Norman
Engineer

I recently bought an ART gold chanal preamp for instrument and mics.
There is variable impedance knob on each channel.
What is this good for?
How should I adjust it?

I also have a Yamah DG Stomp with high and low impedance settings for instrument connection.
Again, what is this good for?
How do I adjust it?
Thank you,
ES

Maybe he has a time machine and we are the ones who should embrace his second,third or fourth coming....

Back