• Get the V69 and change the tube

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Get the V77 and change the tube

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Don't get either

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

c9-2001

after hearing it and reading review, i was planing on ordering a V69m soon.. but i just came across the mxl v77... its not as sexy as the v69, but i wonder how it sounds vs the v69..
the v69 regulary sounds good and i plan on puting a 6072 telefunken tube in it.. if not the 6072, perhaps a mesa/boggie spax7 tube...

I can't vote, as I've never used/heard the V69.

But I recently obtained the V77. It has a clear sound, not as "colored" as you might expect a tube mic to be - at least to these ears. I have a lead singer with a deep, powerful baritone, and the 77 really fit the bill for him. Not too trebly, not too honky. I really dig it.

But keep in mind my only other vocal mics are the V67 and an SP B1.

Fab

I don't think I've heard a Marshall mic I actually liked, other than the mxl603.

Save your money and get something good. Someone just posted that the CAD M9 was on sale at 8th Street, by the way.

chessrock said:
I don't think I've heard a Marshall mic I actually liked, other than the mxl603.

Save your money and get something good. Someone just posted that the CAD M9 was on sale at 8th Street, by the way.
that was ME :D
but i've never heard the m9.. i hear some good things about it though..
i've never been a fan of mxl i thought they were cheap.. but the v69m sounds so good..
it has a nice high end airy sound, while being warm and not to much color..
it surprised the hell out of me.. i'll hold off, but i think thats the mic i'ma end up getting

The CAD M9 is really great. One thing I can remember is it not sounding quite as...how shall I say...tubey? as I expected it to be. It struck me as very quiet, and the tube sound it had was a very subtle (but noticeable) difference from my M179s.

I know Fletcher used to love this particular mic, but he has since dropped CAD from his site because of their problems in the QC control. Thankfully I've not seen any problems with my 4 CADs...but...

CAD being dropped by Fletcher still makes me worry...

c9-2001 said:
i'm gonna go with a Cad M9

The CAD tube mics are rather nice. I know it costs more, but consider the CAD VSM, which uses the 1.10" capsule (one of the two capsules that come with the CAD VX2 mic). I believe the VSM uses the same head amplifier as the VX2, but uses a FET for the line driver (the VX2 uses a second tube for driving the line).

Anyway, the VSM is one nice mic. If funds permit, the VX2 is an incredible mic, two capsules and all. Although quite a bit more expensive, I've seen them on eBay go for $800 or so used. One shows up on eBay every week or two.

My last catalogue from American Musical Supply has the M9 for $299.97. I am tempted myself but I only have an Art tube pre and am concerned that the sound would be too colored. Anybody ever used a toob mic with a toob pre and liked the sound????

Back