Using a USB microphone with a firewire audio interface

TDL

Hey Guys. New to the site.

I am recording tomorrow so if someone can answer this asap I would be greatful.

I have a focusrite saffire pro audio interface. Connects to my macbook pro via firewire. I then use two condenser mic's connected to the two XLR inputs at the front. Then that records into Logic. I am fine with that. The guy I am recording for wants to use a Blue Yeti USB microphone as well as the two mic's connected via the audio interface which is then connected to my macbook etc.

The trouble is, when I have tried this thing before, I can only use one or the other. Since the USB mic has a small interface built in.

So my question is. Can I use both at the same time? We need more that two mics, so it would be great if there was a solution to this issue.

Thanks for reading :)

You can't do it. A USB mic has a built in interface, and you cannot record from two interfaces at the same time. You can use one or the other, not both.

You MIGHT be able to do this by using ReWire. If you, say for example set the interface as the recording device in one DAW and ReWire Reason into that daw with the USB mike as it's recording interface. Not exactly sure that this WILL work, but it should. You can download the free trial version of Reason at propellerhead.se and give it a shot beforehand. Be forewarned that there may be some latency issues in this process.

Isn't ther esome 'aggregate' audio interface thingie that can be done on Macs?

Seems like I read this somewhere as well. I think this might not be possible inside the DAW, but if the OS has a work around, then this could be possible.

Yes, but on Windows, the low-latency ASIO driver spec defines one device driver at one time.
The other problem you get into is that, unless you have all devices word-clocked together,
Each of the crystal internal clocks will drift over time and your recordings won't sync.

Don't fight it. Use one interface and forget USB mics; leave them to the pod casters.

The other problem you get into is that, unless you have all devices word-clocked together,
Each of the crystal internal clocks will drift over time and your recordings won't sync.

I was doing some research on the subject, since it comes up a lot on the board, and this is exactly the primary issue.

OP, as TimO suggest, I would not use the USB mic.

Back