Using Sennheiser shotgun microphone for voiceover

wheelema

Boner-obo
In a prior thread it was noted that Sennheiser shotgun microphones, with pop filters, are used in voiceover work, but no mention was made as to which shotgun mic was popular. As the prices seem to run from $1.5K to .5K, I sure would like to know.

wheelema said:
In a prior thread it was noted that Sennheiser shotgun microphones, with pop filters, are used in voiceover work, but no mention was made as to which shotgun mic was popular. As the prices seem to run from $1.5K to .5K, I sure would like to know.
Honestly I did not look to see the model number. I wish I had, but it looked exactly what you would have expected a shotgun mic to look like.

Frankly, since this is a technique that might not work on every voice very well before shelling out this kind of money I would STRONGLY recommend going to a rental shop and renting one for a day to audition and a/b against your existing gear.

Again returning to my limited experience, during those tests the recording engineer was surprized as how good it sounded. It was not a case where he expected it to sound good.

i find (also from very limited experience) they might work well on certain voices. a singer friend of mine has a very high pitched, loud voice. i let him sing about four feet from the mike and it came out brilliant. it sounded allmost like an sm 58 but with more detail. it also works on distorted guitars. most other stuff sounds 'dull'.

Thank you gentlemen. As it happens, I actually have a need for a shotgun mic in another application, though the budget is too impacted to get it yet. We will see.

Back