using/choosing a condenser mic

mugsy

Iam a Tascam 688 user and would like to purchase a condenser mic, which I will use exclusively for vocals. I'd like to keep the price below $500.00. Any suggestions? Also, will I need a mic preamp and/or a phantom power supply? Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Depending on what version of the 688 you have, you may or may not need phantom power. Check your manual, or look for a switch on the unit. I would recomend getting and AKG C1000s (which everyone around here will tell you). Also I would recommend something from Audio Technica. There used stuff is usually easy to find. Especially if you see the midngiht blue series. They are a few years old but they rock. I picked up the top of the line AT Midnight Blues condenser for 50$. It is just as good as the AKG. If I had 500 to spend I would probably buy used mics and then get a tube preamp that was decent, just my thought though.

MIKE

I'm a Tascam 414 user, and I'm quite happy with the Oktava MK-319, a large-diaphragm condenser mic. I use it on vocals and acoustic guitar. It's currently on sale at Guitar Center for $199. Check out www.oktava.com for mic info and specs.

As far as I understand it, smaller condenser mics (such as the AKG C-1000) can be used on vocals but lack the warmth of larger condensers.

Good luck!

The Sonusman says the AKG c-1000 is overrated, and that he uses it only for particular applications, neither of which is vocals.

Recording Engineer has given a lot of praise to an Octava mic (not the one Kompare mentioned, something like MC-012, but you'll have to check further down this forum). He stresses the importance, however, of getting the Octava from a particular shop (quality control reasons).

Both the Sonusman and Rec Eng know their mics.

I've got an AKG C1000, and it's okay, but for vocals I much prefer my Rode NT-1. It's a beauty. And for $500 you could probably lay your hands on a Rode NT-2.

mugsy:

My response for when someone is looking for a large diaphragm condenser mic with around a $500US budget:

An Oktava MC012 body ($279US w/3 sm. diaphragm caps) and an RTT M1 lg. diaphragm cap for $350US.

If this is the max you can go, then I wouldn't recommend anything else.

I recommend purchasing any Oktava mic only from The Sound Room; and you can get the M1 only from The Sound Room.

The address is www.oktava.com

No matter what you decide, I recommend you at least give The Sound Room a call and talk to Taylor Johnson; great guy (and I don't know anyone who's talked to him who disagrees with that).

I think Dragon should start up a forum for the sole purpose of letting Rec. Engineer tell us how wonderful Taylor Johnson is constantly over and over again :D

Sorry dude... just a bit of fun. In fact I completely understand. It is VERY hard to find good service nowadays and when you know you are onto something good it's hard to resist telling everyone so they can take advantage of your inside knowledge. Keep spreading the word brother!!!

Sorry for those who hear the same shit over and over from me, but it saves both Newbies and myself time by not having to search for an old thread; and the count is rather high now days.

This is mugsy's first post; I had to cut him some slack.

As I said, I've got no problem with it... if you think you are on a winner, why not get everyone in on the act. If Octava mics are only available from The Sound Room, it's just ashame I can't get any out here... I'd probably just get one on the fact that you love them so much.

You can buy Oktavas elsewhare (I just don't recommend it). Taylor Johnson personally tests every Oktava MC012 before he sells it. and if you buy a matched-pair of any model sold by The Sound Room... Well read about that at their site. The point was lots of testing is done.

All should read the March issue of Electronic Musician and read the article of microphone comparisions of 8 different mics (the MC012s are from The Sound Room; and my source is Myles Boise from the r.a.p. newsgroup, who is a good personal friend of the author).

However, you can only buy RTT (Russian Transducer Technology) products from The Sound Room since Taylor Johnson is the Founder and President of RTT; and he owns The Sound Room.

Any of you can e-mail Harvey Gesrt the "pope" of the rec.audio.pro newsgroup and owns Indian Trail Studio www.itrstudio.com and ask him what he thinks about Oktavas and RTT products from The Sound Room. In fact, better yet, go do a search in the r.a.p. newsgroup for "RTT" or "The Sound Room" or etc. and see what everyone else thinks.

Considering how nearly everyone agreed that these Oktavas and RTTs from The Sound Room were nice mics (and not just for the money), I tried it out myself. Now, I'm here on the BBS everynight drilling it into everyones head. It seems like a single night can't pass without me recommending something from The Sound Room.

As Robin says:

"We all take the risk, we all reap the benefit."

I bought an Oktava MC319 from Taylor Johnson
at The Sound Room...Awesome Human Being, Awesome Warranty, Amazing Mic.
Recording Eng. is not wrong...
Cooperman..Oktava, Oktava, Oktava!!!

Well, I'm still waiting to see how great Taylor Johnson is... I sent him an email about 5 days ago and still haven't heard back from him... I asked him a pretty tough question so I'll give him a few more days before trying again

Is the Rode NT-1 a good alternative for the OCtava MC319? My retailer doesn't sell Octavas. So right now its Rode NT1 vs AKG C3000.
the AKG is about 30 dollars extra, so any help on my decision and I would be greatful.

Copperman:

A pretty tough question huh?

Watch-out, last time I asked him some pretty tough questions, he personally called me all the way out here in California to answer questions and just simply chat for over a half-hour... Great guy! He'll get back to you in a few more days. He took quite a while last time I e-mailed him. He's been real busy working on a few new mics for The Sound Room so... It's better to talk with him on the phone anyway.

Yeah well he's welcome to stay up half the night to call and chat for half an hour if he's willing to pay for the phone bill!!! Maybe someone here can answer my question (or just a part of it)

a) do the sound room ship overseas?

b) what is the sales tax rate on mics in the US? Cos I shouldn't have to pay it.. I think

Acutally for the "AKGC3000 Vs RODE NT1",
I did a little checking from past posts and there is a thread with the exact phrase! So I answered my own question.

This is posted on The Sound Room web-site:

"The Sound Room accepts US payments by personal, company or bank check; money orders and major credit cards. The Sound Room accepts international payments by international bank check; international money order, Western Union and major credit cards (MC, VISA, AMEX)."

a)Yes.

b)Don't know what the scenario is for out of US. I'm sure others here can answer that question though.

Cooperman

Aussie customs will sting you for ~22% excise if you import (or so they tell me), although if you wait until we get the GST, it might be cheaper. Nobody has said anything about excise duty post July 1.

Back