USB Mic sticky?

There are only three that I have heard are really worth using ever. One of them is a Neuman that is way out of any typical home recordists budget. Even then, you are limiting yourself from the start.

A better 'sticky', would be the ones that already exist here, that say you should buy an interface, and mic's that will work in the future. USB mics can be fine for simple voice over stuff, but they limit a user to the one mic. No chance of upgrade or choice of another mic in the future. Better off getting a $60 interface, and having the option of thousands of mics.

Not just my opinion; it is just the truth.....

There are only three that I have heard are really worth using ever. One of them is a Neuman that is way out of any typical home recordists budget. Even then, you are limiting yourself from the start.

A better 'sticky', would be the ones that already exist here, that say you should buy an interface, and mic's that will work in the future. USB mics can be fine for simple voice over stuff, but they limit a user to the one mic. No chance of upgrade or choice of another mic in the future. Better off getting a $60 interface, and having the option of thousands of mics.

Preach it!

Here's my list:

Seriously, besides the Neumann listed above I do remember Sound-on-Sound giving a good review to an SE Electronics USB2200, but the price is high enough you could buy a usb interface and a regular mic instead....

I doubt the SE Electronics mic is any good, either, honestly.

The main problem with USB mics is that to minimize costs, they use ancient hardware inside. As far as I can tell, every converter chip designed in the past decade supports 96 kHz, and anything designed in the past five or six years will do 192 kHz. The USB mics almost invariably use converters that only support 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz (and sometimes only at 16-bit depth), which means that they are using very, very old designs that cost almost nothing because nobody building high-end gear will touch them anymore.

If the only difference were the sample rate, that wouldn't be a big deal for a lot of folks (though I personally find that 48 kHz isn't sufficient for tracking if you're going to be applying certain types of filters afterwards). With the higher sample rates came better clocks with less jitter, better analog filter banks, lower noise floors, lower THD, etc. The result is that the sound quality of these devices is significantly compromised compared with an otherwise identical non-USB version of the same mic coupled with even today's cheapest low-end audio interfaces (ignoring gamer sound cards and other similar junk).

And that is why USB microphones are a bad idea. It isn't just that you're stuck with a single microphone, or that you can't record multiple channels at once, but also that you're stuck with an audio interface that is of comparable quality to those XLR-to-USB cables. In other words, crap. They are pretty much a compromise all around.

HEY is this a good interface to get?
Lexicon Alpha
need your opinion it will be my first time buying a non usb mic,

I have purchased two of them. One for myself years ago, and one recently for my boy. Only one XLR input/preamp, and no phantom power, so you are limited to dynamic mics. The gain is clean, but not much of it, so not great for quiet sources like acoustic guitar. That being said, it is still good for vocals or mic'ing electric guitar amps with dynamic mics. It also has 2 line inputs, so preamp upgrade is possible. The outputs for monitoring are RCA, so not balanced, but that is not necessarily necessary for basic recording.

It comes with Cubase LE5 (possibly LE6 now), which is pretty useable as far as limited edition DAW's go.

I have purchased two of them. One for myself years ago, and one recently for my boy. Only one XLR input/preamp, and no phantom power, so you are limited to dynamic mics. The gain is clean, but not much of it, so not great for quiet sources like acoustic guitar. That being said, it is still good for vocals or mic'ing electric guitar amps with dynamic mics. It also has 2 line inputs, so preamp upgrade is possible. The outputs for monitoring are RCA, so not balanced, but that is not necessarily necessary for basic recording.

It comes with Cubase LE5 (possibly LE6 now), which is pretty useable as far as limited edition DAW's go.
its sounds pretty difficult bro the way you put it i'm a newbie when it comes to real mics

I see that therse SO many parts just to get ONE microphone to work on a computer. Phantom power, audio interface, multiple cables,

i was wondering can i just get a xlr-to-usb cable and be done?

Not really man, the Alpha will work fine for a startup device. It is only $60. The interface is the easy part. It is learning how to use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that will take time to learn.

No, the absolute worst option you could go with, is a XLR to USB adapter.

Not really man, the Alpha will work fine for a startup device. It is only $60. The interface is the easy part. It is learning how to use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that will take time to learn.

No, the absolute worst option you could go with, is a XLR to USB adapter.

hm okay cuz i was thinking of getting a mxl 770 but no phantom power is that an issue

and i thought so

Yeah, you need phantom power to use a condenser mic like the MXL 770. I have never heard anything good about that particular mic by the way.

You would be best to save and get something more worthy. Your interface is the first step. You will have a better idea of what you need, after you get some basic experience, and figure out what it is you really want to do.

A basic interface (like the Alpha) and a dynamic mic, will give you more options than a USB mic, or XLR to USB cable.

Go ahead and get a XLR to USB cable. Learning by poor purchase is an expensive way, but at least you will know why. Or possibly, it will be good enough for your purposes. I don't even know what your purpose/goals are anyway.

Actually, that should have been asked first.

What is it that you plan to record?

Yeah, you need phantom power to use a condenser mic like the MXL 770. I have never heard anything good about that particular mic by the way.

You would be best to save and get something more worthy. Your interface is the first step. You will have a better idea of what you need, after you get some basic experience, and figure out what it is you really want to do.

A basic interface (like the Alpha) and a dynamic mic, will give you more options than a USB mic, or XLR to USB cable.

Go ahead and get a XLR to USB cable. Learning by poor purchase is an expensive way, but at least you will know why. Or possibly, it will be good enough for your purposes. I don't even know what your purpose/goals are anyway.

Actually, that should have been asked first.

What is it that you plan to record?
thanks for your help and yea i'm getting a better understanding of these xlr mics and i chose the mxl 770 for its price and durability and i'm going to use it just for vocals, rap vocals to be specific

Well, many have brought up this same scenario, and most do not seem to be satisfied with the cheap route. I have been here a while, and I am not selling you anything.

If you are truly looking to get decent rap tracks; You need to get a decent interface. You need to spend more than $350 on a decent mic. You need to treat your room acoustically. You need good monitors. You need to learn your software. You need to be good.

If any of these are lacking, you will be reaching for answers on a constant basis.

If quality does not matter, then just get a XLR to USB cable, and record crap.

Sorry if that sounds brutal, but that is just the way it is. Even with the listed above, you will not necessarily get what you want, unless you are so talented that it doesn't matter. That only happens twice a decade or so, and Lady GAGA and Katy Perry took the last spots. LMAO! Sorry, that was stupid.

Spend much time reading up on gear, and room treatment, before you buy anything. Then figure out what it is you want to do with the gear, and choose wisely, based on the knowledge you learned, and the budget you have.

Back