Urgent Help With Mic Decision TLM49

weezamiah

i Have a rode nt2, akg c414, and a se 2200a.I am looking at a tlm 49 for vocals. While the reviews state's this is a very good vocal mic, there are a lot of negative comments on other forums about this mic. I dont have the luxury to test this mike out so looking for inputs on this mic. Again mainly for vocals. Going through GR pres and apollo quad.

I own one and it gets used quite a lot. It is quite bright but suits some voices. Very hot output and good signal to noise so comes in handy for quiet acoustic sources too.

Not sure why it gets the bad press - it is NOT an M49, although it looks like one, and perhaps that is the problem.

I'll say it again... it is a bright mic!

Stewart

The TLM 49 is a modern transformerless microphone that is designed to sound a bit like a valve (vacuum tube) mic. It's a good mic.

You could also consider:-

At a slightly cheaper price (£908 +VAT retail in the UK) is the Gefell MT 71 S - this uses the original Georg Neumann M7 capsule. This is a cardioid only mic. (the TLM 49 is also cardioid only).

At a slightly higher price (£1,214 +VAT in the UK) is the UMT 70 S - this also uses the original Georg Neumann M7 capsule, but is switchable: omni / cardioid / fig.8.

Both these mics. are basically the same - the cheaper one being cardioid only and the more costly one being switchable polar-pattern.

The MT71S is slightly cheaper than the TLM49 and the UMT70S is slightly more expensive - quality wise, IMHO, Gefell are equal to Neumann (and Sennheiser, Schoeps and DPA) at the top of the tree.

Back