Upgrading from Rode NT1

Okay, so on the recommendation of many on this board, I bought a Rode NT1 to record my album project a few years ago. It worked great. For a low-end mic. With a bit of trickery, I got the disc sounding great.

I'm beginning work on my next album and I'd like to go one healthy step up on the quality ladder to avoid excess trickery and also just get better vocal tone.

What's a good move up from an NT1, but is still under, say, $500? Or $400, even.

I know you guys will know.

A lot of folks like the Rode NTK, which can be had around $400 or so. It's a tube microphone, but the reputation it has is clear and perhaps even a little trebly. However, it won't be near as trebly or "essy" as the NT1.

I have the Marshall MXL V77, also a tube mic. Like the Rode, the V77 is clean and clear rather than thick and "tubey." I like it, but I"m sure there are many more options at around that price ($300-$400). Some like the Marshall MXL V69, which I haven't heard but others say sounds more colored and tubey.

You often hear the AT 4040 mentioned as a solid condenser. The Studio Projects C1 is a little bright, but not as bright, apparently, as the NT1. The Studio Projects TB1 is a tube mic that you might also like, for only around $250.

Just a few ideas,

Fab

Sir_Matthew said:
Thanks for the advice, but I must admit I'm not terribly familiar with model numbers. What brand is a mk012?
hi Sir_Matthew, the mk012 or mc012 is by Oktava. it's a small pencil SDC mic. do a search here... there's a lot of discussion on it.

Back