Which of the two ultra low budget mics?

All rode mics are manufactured in Australia
I've got a RØDE NTG1 and it's a great mic at a good price. I have seen a few postings that might suggest some inconsistencies in manufacturing of some models (not that one particularly), but to me they seem like a good solution for a lot of situations - even one like this if you need to keep the mic out of the video frame.

But, [MENTION=178786]rob aylestone[/MENTION] nails it (again) when he says "the difference between microphones is overshadowed by having them in the right place." And I'll echo that (and others here) by saying, on the camera is rarely the right place. I think it's used because (I think, and I could be wrong) people used to making and editing videos are a lot more comfortable editing video with an embedded soundtrack, especially when splicing clips from different takes.

But, with some of the better digital recorders out there, especially if they have the ability to record dual tracks with a "backup" track at a lower gain, i.e., to insure transients don't kill your recording, setting up a separate, good-quality recorder and letting that go "hands-off" can make a huge difference in the audio. It's more work, but worth it, IMHO.

But, we're probably "barking up the wrong tree here" as the preface was a $30 microphone to solve the OP's problem. So, I'll go refill my coffee cup and read the paper. Carry on...

A big thanks to kastus, rob, bouldersoundguy, witzendoz, keith and ecc83.

There's too many replies to reply to directly now. It's a great problem to have haha...

So i'll just say thanks very much everyone, i've read all your posts, and i'm much more informed on the area of microphones and placement now.

Eventually, I'd like to buy a Zoom H2, or H1, or 2 ISK phantom power condensers if the piano project i am working on grows, but at this point, my piano performances on youtube don't warrant anything more than at most The Takstar 698.

There is only one other thought i had - Buying two Takstar 598's and using an adapter to convert it to one stereo jack. That way i could experiment with mic placement and distances.

And i could start with just 1 to test audio quality then buy a second one if i like it and want stereo.

Is there any problems with that setup? Does adapting them to a stereo jack introduce noise or any other problems?

Thanks again everyone!

I really appreciate all of your replies.

P.S - To put everything into perspective - This the last video i made: YouTube

I know... the audio quality is terrible and the composition of the piece even worse. I'll do a better one next time.

Last edited:
One last time - 2 Takstar 698s (3 1/2 star ratings with only 15 reviews) are $90 on Amazon. A Zoom H1 (4 1/2 stars with over 1000 ratings) is $99. Put the Zoom where it can record a really good sound, using mics that are, I promise, better than the Takstar's. Run a 12' cable from the headphone out of the Zoom to the camera if you must, but the camera's AGC will totally ruin your recording. Learn how to sync the audio after you've composed the video. It will be better.

Thanks Keith.

Allow me to reiterate a few points relevant to your reply:

1. The mic I mentioned buying 2 of is the 598 Not the 698. Because of course, that would be an absurd buying decision. Two 598's cost around $45 USD. less than half the price of the H1.

2. I already record audio separately and sync in premier.

3. I always put whatever mic I have in the best position, and record video separately.

4. I always disable AGC and wind filter on the 700d - it has that capability.

But i take your point, the zoom H1 will be drastically better.

I understand such an insignificant purchase is not worth your thought, but I do appreciate the knowledge you and everyone else has shared.

Thank you.

- Thomas.

Last edited:
I understand such an insignificant purchase is not worth your thought....
Mmm. Well, I may have missed some of the fine points of your postings, but I gave my answers plenty of thought and considered your budget as much as I thought was reasonable to get a better result and not waste money. You disagree. Good luck.

Mmm. Well, I may have missed some of the fine points of your postings, but I gave my answers plenty of thought and considered your budget as much as I thought was reasonable to get a better result and not waste money. You disagree. Good luck.

Oh i wasn't saying you didn't give thought. It may have come across wrong, i meant it doesn't deserve any further thought.

Thanks again and i will take everyone's answers into account. :)

You know the true test is trying it out. You can always return the mics if they don’t preform as you intended. If they have a headphone out (this works with H4n, H5, H6 anything with headphone out) you can listen as you move the mics around. I have found that typical setups don’t necessarily sound the best to me and I tend to use them as a starting point. Different things work for different situations, equipment, setups, locations. You have to try it and see. Something I may think sounds great may not sound great to you. People seem to forget that what sounds good to one may not sound as good to someone else. Also, money vs sound. I have gotten very good results using a Shure SM57, SM58 when others have suggested that they will not record well. Try it for yourself and listen to the direct output as you move the mics around. I do think you will have a hard time finding something that will sound better than the H4n for 2x the cost or more.

Back