TUrning a Codensor MIC upside down

xpurt

I have a Rode NTK, I was told by it being tube, turning it upside down would be a better thing to do.

Any comments?

well, the idea of turning tube mics upside down is to prevent that the warm air is rising up and flowing along the diaphragm, which might or might not damage (warp) the diaphragm.

I turn my LDCs upside down and put them on a high boom stand behind the music stand so they are not in the way (both visually when the singer reads sheet music; it also avoids that the singer bumps into the mic stand).

P.S.: I've also heard that by hanging the mic a bit higher (nose level), the singer automatically lifts his/her head a bit, which opens the throat, leading to a more open voice. Also, if the mic is a bit higher, you avoid that the singer spits onto the mic, and the air stream is not directly hitting the diaphragm. If you don't turn the mic upside down, it would be right in front of the singer's face, so its better to have it hanging down from a boom.

And hey, don't forget: an upside-down LDC looks way cooler ;)

It doesn't matter right side up or upside down. There's an old wives tail that I even used to propagate that you should turn tube mics upside down to keep the heat coming off the tube from cooking the diaphram but I've since found out that it ain't true. Folks hang 'em upside down to make it easier to read (lyrics and such) from a music stand.

Track Rat said:
It doesn't matter right side up or upside down. There's an old wives tail that I even used to propagate that you should turn tube mics upside down to keep the heat coming off the tube from cooking the diaphram but I've since found out that it ain't true. Folks hang 'em upside down to make it easier to read (lyrics and such) from a music stand.

Doesn't hurt to turn tube LDs upside down. Indeed, the CAD VX2 (which has two tubes) is designed to used upside down. The manual instructs you to do this and the CAD logo is upside down on the mic.

Back