tube mikes

Wide Awake

If you own a tube mic, can you describe how they sound ? I use condensers through inexpensive tube preamps and like the effect. Is the effect of the tube in a tube mic that pronounced ?

Do you like them for other applications other than voice ?

In my VERY limited experience with the AT4060 (which I own and am evaluating right now), I'd say no, the effect is not pronounced. The sound is large, warm and detailed. It sounds... well... expensive.

Since I'm a newbie, I was surprised to learn that the tube is in the body of the mic (duh); I had thought for some reason that it was in the power supply. The mic itself gets quite warm after being on for an hour.

In listening to the mic comparison CD from 3DAudioinc.com, all the Audio Technica mics they recorded have a similar quality that I like very much, and the differences among them seem to reflect their price (that is, I would rate them in the order of 4060, 4050, 4047 and 4033). Only the 4060 is a tube mic.

From the list of mics I liked most out the 49 on the disc (selected during repeated blind listening tests), I crossed out those that were too esoteric or expensive for me to consider. What remained were mostly not tube mics, but then the CD was released before the latest offerings from Rode, Studio Projects and others were available.

The presence or absence of tube electronics didn't seem to be a deciding factor in what made a mic sound good. For instance, to my ears the Neumann M147 and M149 were among the worst-sounding mics on the disc, which surprised me a lot, since I was predisposed to think they would be among my favorites. Price was definitely a factor, however, and the mics I finally short-listed are all mics you would recognize (including the Shure KSM44, AKG C414B-ULS, Earthworks QTC-1, BLUE Mouse, the four Audio Technicas mentioned above, and the Neumann 87ai, which is actually out of my price range but still made the list). And yet we've all read instances where various recordists have really NOT liked these mics under certain circumstances.

There were other mics that sounded great, but aren't necessarily things that I can either afford to try or could find locally, including the Coles 4038, an awesome DPA 3541, and offerings from Manley and Soundelux, among others. All the vintage mics are thousands of dollars over my budget.

So if part of your question is, do you need to buy a tube mic to get the best possible sound, I'd say the answer is no.

The only two reasonably affordable tube mics on the sample disc that I really liked were the Audio Technica AT4060 and the GT AM62. I didn't find a lot of companies carrying the latter, but it sounded great on this disc.

The biggest surprise of the disc was how well the $80 Shure SM57 sounds in the company of these heavy hitters. It doesn't have the delicacy, fullness and emotional immediacy of many of the others, but overall it sounded better than some mics that cost 20 times as much, and it was always musical.

I'll be interested to read what more experienced recordists have to say in response to your question.

With kind regards,

Mark H.

Sound is very subjective.

I have used a variety of tube mics from el cheapos to some extremly expensive ones.
I use at home and at the studio as well many times, a very surprising mic called the Solidtube from AKG.
I find it to be a realy good mic for several different things.
For Female vocals I find it to be a killer !.

A tube mic might at low levels, give you a more dynamic recording.
At higher levels a soft compression that is to many one of its big secrets. They can add warmth and fatness to a track and they can suck on some sources.

With all that in mind...it's nice to have a tube mic just as its nice to have several different mics that will give you different colors of sound. It's not the tube you should be looking for but the sound you like, you need, a variety (if you can afford it).

It's less commen to use a tube on Drums and bass and acoustic..ambience...piano, and more commen on vocals.. strings....E. Guitar.
But like everything in recording.....its a subjective thing.

GT AM62 tube mic

I wanted to amend my earlier pitch for the GT AM62 tube mic, (there's one currently being offered on eBay). To my ears, it was one of the best-sounding mics on the *female* vocal track on the 3DAudioinc.com Mic Listening Test CD. It was so good that I hastily added it to my list, even though I'm not familiar with the company (it's part of Alesis now).

However, on re-listening carefully to all tracks several times, I'm sorry to report that -- again, just to my ears -- the GT AM62 *seemed* to do something strange to the *male* vocalist, almost as though it gave different notes a different character. The male vocalist has a very edgy, almost strained tenor singing style, and through ANY of the 49 mics on the disc his singing drives my wife right out of the room. It's not easy listening, but perhaps even because of that, it provides useful information.

If the GT AM62 goes for $400 - $500, I still believe it's a flat-out bargain in a tube mic and well worth owning for its big, round and beautiful sound on female vocals. At least on the 3DAudioinc Mic test CD, it murdered several more expensive tube mics from the best-known manufacturers. Was it a fluke?

In a recorded listening test, it's impossible to know how much the circumstances influenced the mic, but I felt I owed you all this updated information.

Mark H.

I have a tube mike and it is definately more suited to female vocals. I also find it does a great job on accoustic guitars with the bass roll-off engaged.

Here's a question for the gurus. Does a tube mic perform better once the tube has had a chance to warm up, or does it make no difference?

Mark

I let it warm up for a half hour before I start.
The difference is subtle but for me important.

NEVER ! dismantle the mic untill it cools down ! or you might break it.

I have the Røde NTK. There is a 'sheen' or sweetness there that I never got with the NT-1. Yeah, I have heard that it is best to let it warm up for 1/2 hour or so. I've used some good mics, but this one wins in the sound quality dep't. I was going to get an AKG 414, but chose the NTK instead. I may get the 414 in the future, but I am happy with what I have now. I am just gearing up to start my CD, and I am looking forward to recording my Taylor with it.

Markd102 said:
I have a tube mike and it is definately more suited to female vocals. I also find it does a great job on accoustic guitars with the bass roll-off engaged.

Here's a question for the gurus. Does a tube mic perform better once the tube has had a chance to warm up, or does it make no difference?

Mark

It's likely to perform nearer to the spec if given time to warm up. Destructions for my GT MD 6TMs say "allow at least 5 mins for the tube to warm up..." I usually allow at least half-an-hour for all the stuff to settle down...

I agree about the "female sound". I was using one of the 6TMs to record a vocalist friend once; I'd heard her sing and knew that she had a great voice - well, I was playing bass, and monitoring her also, and was so blown away by the sound when she started singing that I totally screwed up the bass-line... thoughts totally elsewhere... think I'll take a cold shower, excuse me...

- Wil

I've used the GrooveTubes MD1 in the theater. We mike acoustic guitars and used TLA tube preamps into an 02R. Talk about warm sounding solo's......btw, the guitar was the main instrument to support the vocal.

Double bass with AKG C3000
Vocals on Neumann KMS-140
Guitars on GT MD1 and elements
Grand piano on AKG C414's

I'd disagree about the female sound. I have an NTV and I haven't found a female that REALLY sounded great on it...Don't get me wrong. Loud male rock vocals are what I've found my tube mic worst best for.

Back