Trident Trimix console

harley96

I have an opportunity to purchase a Trident trimix console from a buddy of mine.I was wondering what are the opinions from anyone who has used one of these consoles.I have not seen it yet and I have not inquired about the price but I am assuming it will be in the 5k to 10k range. I know it's hard to evaluate worth without knowing how many inputs,etc. I want to know how users compare sound quality to the likes of api and neve. I am currently using a mackie 24/8. I asked him if he had any left over trident mic pres as I would like to have atleast one nice mic pre but he only has the trimix board to offer and I'm thinking long term this board may be what I'm looking for.

Funny you should mention that. I just got done reading an article in TapeOp about Malcom Toft (built and helped design all the early Trident desks). I've got no hands on experience with them but I'd imagine they're a very good desk.

Track Rat

Thanks for the reply,Ive done some research on them but very little info on the net regarding the trimix console.I'll be checking it out on Monday.More than likely it will be out of my league but I'm looking realistically to start a studio business within 2 years.I have quite a bit of equipment and If I can get into a Trident console I think it will certainly be a selling point to come in to my studio.It all takes time but I want to have all my aspects covered.Thanks,Greg

Trimix

The Trimix was a mobile console using the same circuitry as the Series 80. Released in '81, a year after the original 80, it was a split 8 bus design available in either 16 or 24 module widths. There was also a matching patchbay sidecar available. In '83, the Series 70 was introduced, which used the Trimix modules in a large format frame and modified them for 16 busses. While the Trimix used 8 individual bus selection switches, the Series 70 was modified to select bus pairs with the same switches. The Series 80 used 12 switches in pairs for 24 buses total. The other differences between a Series 80 and a Trimix/Series 70 module were the hi and low shelves weren't switchable on the latter, thus 80/120Hz became 100Hz and 8k/12kHz became 10kHz, plus the stereo aux send was omitted. Otherwise, all three consoles used the same circuitry and had identical mic pres, sweepable EQ, etc. For this reason, much of what you hear about Trident Series 80 consoles can be applied to Trimix/Series 70 boards as well.
These are great rock and roll tracking boards with transformer coupled mic pres and a cool tone to the EQs. The Trident A range would be more comparable to a Neve or API as they were the first class A discrete Tridents, but only 13 were made. The Series 80 opamp designs built the reputation of the "Trident sound." Outside of the Neve, API, etc., class A discrete designs, there are few more desirable vintage mic pre/EQ modules than the Series 80. Considering the prices of new Series 80 re-issues, Trimix/Series 70 boards are a bargain.
Now the caveat, these are twenty year old split boards. A loaded 24 module Trimix frame consisted of 16 Input modules, 4 dual submaster/tape return modules, 1 dual master/tape return module, 1 aux master module, and 2 blanks. This would give you 16 channel inputs, 8 bus outputs, and 10 tape returns. At mix, you lose the 2 tape returns on the master module as you need to monitor the mix bus on that path, and you lose the tape returns on each submaster you use in the mix, as they are assigned to the master through the same path. So you can run 16+8X2, 16+4x4x2, or 16x8x2, etc. Not quite as convenient as an in-line Mackie that can run 24+24x8x2, but the sound... nuff said. Trimix frames can be linked to share the same buses, auxes, PFL, etc. to overcome these limitations, sound familiar? One PSU can power two 24 module frames.
Caveat two is maintenance. If every electrolytic capacitor hasn't been replaced recently, it should be. These boards are worlds easier to work on than a Mackie as they were designed to be servicable by non-techs. I just replaced two faders on a Mackie 24x8, and it required a total tear down of the console, so when the caps go, it's in the dumpster. On the Trimix, you pull the individual module, every part is labeled and the separate circuits are illustrated on the card itself. You continue using the board while the module is on the bench and you can test your fixes using a riser card so you don't have to re-install it in the board to listen. In other words, it's a real console. If you'd like to see pictures or schematics, just ask and I'll post some. HTH

Trident Trimix

I used one for about 2 years and it is one of the cleanest consoles I ever used. Very simple, very good.
I'm resurrecting that console after 20 years of storage.
anyone have any parts, modules or schematics?

I used one for about 2 years and it is one of the cleanest consoles I ever used. Very simple, very good.
I'm resurrecting that console after 20 years of storage.
anyone have any parts, modules or schematics?

Sorry, I have no parts for this console.

Number 1, this thread is about 8 years old.

Number 2, what is it doing in the microphone forum?

Number 3, sorry, I don't have any Trident parts either.

I would guess that a desk that old would be constant high maintenance. Just imagine all of the points where corrosion has started to grow and dust has collected. Moving parts may be dried out. To make it reliable again would probably take a major overhaul. One has to ask...is it really worth all that trouble and expense?

I once overhauled an old Soundtracs mixer. It continued to give me trouble and headaches for two years to follow. Parts were hard to find. I finally got fed-up and dumped the damn thing. Never again.

Good luck with yours, though.

Back