Travling overseas with Rode K2 microphone and desk top mixer? Any suggestions?

harmonic-sailor

Hi Everyone,

Noobie question here. Don't mind if this thread is a bit detailed:

I will be traveling overseas next month (E. Asia). I was there last year and when I was returning to the U.S., I had very little time to ship ahead my Rode K2 microphone in its case, so I had to pack it in my check-in. I consider myself very fortunate to this day that I still have it with me (LOL).

But since I will be going out of the U.S. and to China again, I will be traveling with a Rode K2 tube mic, which comes with its power supply, 7-pin MXL cable, regular XLR cable, and power cord for the power supply. I also have a Yamaha AG06 desktop mixer.

I recently bought an IBEX carry-on suitcase that has foam padding, that will be used to transport and keep the microphone, power supply and mixer in sight, as I do not want to put them in my check-in baggage again.

Unfortunately, there is a small problem. I'm concerned that if TSA decides to have me power up and test the K2, I would need to have the 7-pin MXL cable and regular XLR mic cable ready. However, the 7-pin MXR cable is at least 15 feet, and the regular XLR cable is 6 feet. I have read conflicting experiences and suggestions about how cables longer than 6 feet are automatically confiscated.

So if I don't bring the 'essential' MXL 7-pin cable for the K2, then what else should I do to prove its really a working microphone (if TSA asks me to)? For the life of me I cannot find any MXL cable less than 15 feet, so I think I'm screwed on this part. Any ideas or suggestions? Regarding carry-on travel with tube microphones and their power supply?

Has anyone had experience traveling with a tube microphone and its power supply and MXL cable before?

All experiences and suggestions greatly welcomed.

Cheers,

harmonic-sailor

Last edited:
The obvious question is why you are traveling with this equipment! There must be simpler solutions for travel.

Clearly, I have no experience traveling with something like this. A friend brought his over to try out just a few weeks ago, and it's a nice mic, but wow it's a handful to carry and set up, as you obviously know.

Anyway, pack the cables in stowed luggage if you're worried about those, but I'd probably check the entire lot. I can't imagine trying to drag that much weight along as carryon.

Personally, and I realize it's not an opinion you asked for, I'd probably pack something considerably easier to travel with, or even pick up something there if you're going to be there a while.

I brought a few microphones through an airport when I came home from uni one year.
I had some sessions booked at home and needed three mics, and didn't really want to post them.

In the end there was no problem but, damn, the security guys had a hell of a good look!
They did ask me to disassemble the microphones to see inside and I explained that I couldn't as they were machined that way, or required tools.

In hindsight, I think having paperwork to prove that I, and my travelling partner, were both music technology students might be the sole reason I still have those microphones today.

Long story short, I don't think I'd travel through an airport with gear.

Get an extra 7-pin cable.
Check one, take one with you for proof.

If it gets confiscated... its ok, you have a spare...and you have it to prove the mic.
If it doesn't, its all good.. you should bring a spare anyway.

Notably.. Neutrik makes 7-pin connectors. Cut one of those 30-footers down to a 6 footer for your carryon and a 20 footer for the checked bag. Problem solved.
The are unit #NC7MX and #NC7FX

Last edited:
Back