In Toronto, Canada!

tenkas

I am going to Toronto for a week and I was wondering if anyone had any good gear stores to suggest. I am really looking foward buying an sm7 or beyer m88, m69.
I know bluebear is in Toronto, so I don't know where you buy your gear (or if you have any for sale :P) but if you know anykind of place that sells gear, I would love to know where it is.

Thx

Actually Blue Bear is in Ottawa.

Toronto has Steve's music and Long and Mcquade. There's also a used place called Songbird.

Not sure what other stores there are but Ghost would know.

Dave

Thx for the info! I am from Montreal and can't get any Beyer microphones.... where would you think I may find some in Toronto? (I guess Steve in Toronto also doesn't have beyer).

thx

Long and Mcquades, on Bloor street.

Paul's Boutique, in Kengsington Market (spelling?).

There's is another place not to far from Long and Mquade's on bloor...
damn, i forget the name, but they have alot of high quality used stuff their - the staff at long and M's are pretty cool- they will let you know where to find beyer's if they dont sell them...

teainthesahara said:
the staff at long and M's are pretty cool

wow. at the l & m here in victoria the staff are a bunch of pricks-- (with some exceptions who i know and love). not helpful in the least and patronizing, abrupt, and rude as hell.

When I was in Toronto(3 yrs ago), I visited Steve's music and Long and Macquade. Good place to visit, but not so generous in making you a good deal.

I ended up buying all my stuffs from Cosmo-music(sounds something like that) in Richmond hill area.... great people and attitude and gave me some good deals as well.... check them out. :)

My tips:

* Capsule Music at 921 Queen St. West has a great inventory of vintage guitars and amps, but not much (if any) recording gear.

* Songbird (801 Queen West) is cheaper generally and they have much more studio gear: http://www.songbirdmusic.com/torasp/Index.asp

* Long and McQuade on Bloor just west of Ossington is the superstore of the city. Not much used, but the best choice for the mics you mentioned.

* Steve's on Queen just east of Spadina is really cluttered and a pain to browse in. Decent inventory, all new.

* There used to be a number of decent instrument pawn shops on Church St. north of Queen, but there's nothing but junk there now.

* Paul's Boutique in Kensington Market is really tiny and all used gear, but occasionally you spot something cool.

* Cosmo Music on Yonge in Richmond Hill is big, but definitely out of the city (and a pain to get to without a car - about 30 minutes north of downtown).

Cheers,
J.

I grabbed a beyer mic from Steve's in Ottawa....So I wouldn't write off Steve's in Toronto so quick...And remember when your in Toronto always punch a leaf fan in the face...

I kid I kid

Altruist said:
...And remember when your in Toronto always punch a leaf fan in the face...

I kid I kid

That was harsh.

Besides. There are plenty of Leafs fans in Ottawa that you could do that to. :D ;)

I "sort of " agree w/ Mcolling. Almost every purchase I make I go to L. & M. for a quote and they are generally about 20% higher than ar-online. That's including shipping and tax. I don't work for ar-online or have any connection but can tell you they are in Cleaveland and it would be very easy for you to buy from them ( they also have 1-800 # )
I would like to see the money stay in Canada but I don't have unlimited funds and also like mcolling says they provide little or no service, so why should I give them my money?

Altruist said:
I grabbed a beyer mic from Steve's in Ottawa....So I wouldn't write off Steve's in Toronto so quick...And remember when your in Toronto always punch a leaf fan in the face...

I kid I kid

What!? Jealous that the Leafs beat out Ottawa in the playoffs? Hmmm not only that but the 4 times they met the Leafs won every series, sorry buddy, time to rid of the Sens jersy and get a Leafs jersy.:)

krimson said:
What!? Jealous that the Leafs beat out Ottawa in the playoffs? Hmmm not only that but the 4 times they met the Leafs won every series, sorry buddy, time to rid of the Sens jersy and get a Leafs jersy.:)

NEVER !!!!!!! :D

Actually the Leafs didn't beat the Sens last spring. Belfour beat the Sens.

Ok back to the thread at hand..

ar-online is an online discount warehouse. He sells lots of things thru eBay and here's a link to his eBay site. http://stores.ebay.com/JAKES-MUSIC-PLACE
I know a few others that have bought from him and found his prices to be good and good service. I'm in Canada and find dealing with him ( his name is Paul ) to be very easy. I usually search the forum archives for gear I'm interested in learning about , then ck. eBay for the best price and then phone Paul and ask him if he'll meet the price, use my VISA to pay and in a wk. or so it's at the door. I always choose USPS for shipping to avoid rip off brokerage fees and PST. :)

mcolling said:
wow. at the l & m here in victoria the staff are a bunch of pricks-- (with some exceptions who i know and love). not helpful in the least and patronizing, abrupt, and rude as hell.

yo is that the one in victoria bc? if so, i found the guys in the drum dept. were pretty nice. the L & M here in vancouver on granville street, the guitar guys are okay. the drum guys are good allong with the mic and keyboards, but the bass dept guys are the biggist ******* i have ever met.
so when i bought my bass, i went to "Tom Lee..." and they gave me a $10 dollars off to beat the cheapest price in the city and that was L & M. i may do that more often to get a better price and some more help.
the guys at "Tom Lee..." were pretty bad ("pricks", didnt help...) a while ago when i got my piano, but recently with the bass purchus, and cymbal shopping they were pretty helpfull. anyways, merry xmas, later

Back