TLM 103 or TLM 193 or SP C1???

sotho

I'm looking of buying one of these... i know that the tlm 103 use a capsule based on the K87 capsule (U87 capsule). But for the tlm 193 it use the same capsule then the U89.... I've heard about the test of the studio projects at the namm show where u can listen both mic in a A-B test and the result seem to be really good.... And i've heard good things about the studio projects..... So any neumann TLM 103 & 193 user here?? :-)

thanks
Fred

What's the application?

As a general statement, you'll be able to get satisfying results with an of those mics; especially with a good preamp. Those mics are certainly not the same, but I think you'd find less of a different amoung those as you would with other mics. You'll most definitely get a "Neumann sound" with those. That's what I've found anyway.

I think it just comes down to whether you want very hyped hi-end like the 103 or C1. And if you want that hyped hi-end to be very noticeable but smooth like the C1 which seems to start in the hi-mid, up to a bell-curve at its peak. Or, an extremely noticeable and drastic hi-mid through hi-end shelf like the 103.

Or do you want a pretty slight and smooth, but somewhat broad dip in the hi-mid and a smooth, hardly noticeable rise in the hi-end.

The low-end to me doesn't seem to be that much of a difference other than how quickly the low-end drops-off. Oddly enough though, I seem to hear a low-end bump in the C1 that I don't hear in the 193 or 103.

this will be my main mic for pickuping vocal, and other acoustical instrument.... And i don't know wich one to choose... Probably the tlm 193 is better then the tlm 103 if u check the frequency response of the mic... (don't like too much the boost in the high that u found on every "i wanna be" mic!!! i.e. adk,marshall,behringer). Probably i will more have to look further to the tlm 193 or the C1. I have read some very good thing about the Studio project C1 but it is another "i wanna be" mic? Seem to act like a U87...... And i have a T1953 (not enough money for a 737sp!!!) preamp into a VS-2480....

thanks a lot!

standing ur post!

Fred

I own both a 103 and a 193. They are not hugely different in sound, that is to say, that they are more alike in character than either of them are to any of my other mics. But the 103 definitely has a little more air and high end bump, whereas the 193 seems more neutral.

The huge difference between the two is that the 103 has a much hotter output, and, of course, it is a lot smaller (which can be useful for getting into tight places). Regretfully, neither of them have a pad or a roll-off. Given the high output of the TLM103, the lack of a pad makes using it on loud sources more difficult.

Back