TLM 103 or TLM 193

Galla said:
Which would you choose?

You are asking which of these two would I choose:

I have chosen. Get the TLM103.

You are welcome.

(Now. let's just see how many people DON"T read the question and recommend something OTHER than that which you asked about. )

My only audible experience with Neumann is hearing RE's set of TLM-103 on overheads. Sweet sound for sure.

Cymbals sound like cymbals... and those awful Sabian crashes still sound like pie plates.

TLM193's have more presence. things recorded with the 193 cut right through the mix easy. it has warmer sounding mids and has more shine to the top end also.
i've used both, and i own a TLM193

While most of what you've said is rather terminology reference oriented (one man's "warm" can be completely different to someone elses), but the 193 having "more shine to the top end" is COMPLETELY the opposite of what I've experienced comparing the two.

The published frequency response charts alone will tell you this... And is confirmed by listening to them.

Oddly enough, that's where I have a hard-time with the 193... Its pretty darn lifeless to me.

I love my 103s as overheads, as bgavin pointed-out... They do their job on acoustic guitar, and they either work great or don't work at all on a vocal.

I agree that the TLM 103/193 comparison sounds upside down. The TLM 103 has a presence boost, while the TLM 193 has a dip in the top end.

On a recent vocal session I used the TLM 103 and SP C1. The Neumann has a richer sound in the mids, while the C1 sounded overly bright to my ears. The client wanted the C1 for some tracks, but I would have used the TLM 103 every track.

it could have just been that singer... but i liked the way the 193 sounded so i bought it.. i only use it on some artist.. i usually use a u87ai or a cad M9

Back