Testing 8 Mics in UN-Treated Track Room

OK, I have done a few mic test in the UN-treated track room. All the recordings were rendered to around a -18LUFS with a -0.2dbTP. I used the -0.2dbTP due to placing a master limiter on the master channel. Each mic was tested at a 2 to 3 inch range, speaking off axis as well as using a $10.00 homemade sound booth as well as being 12 inches from the mic.

I used my Alesis mixer going into Reaper between a -12dbs and -18dbs. I will list the dynamic tests first. This will be my base line to see the effects after I install my room treatments.

ATR 2100

View attachment 100411

Shure SM 57

View attachment 100412

Radio Shack High Ball

View attachment 100413

CONDENSERS

AKG P120

View attachment 100414

AT Pro 70 Lav

View attachment 100415

Logitech Headset

View attachment 100416

C-2 Matched Stereo Mics

View attachment 100417

ECM 8000

View attachment 100418

thats a pretty big difference with and without the shield.

distance a huge difference, especially on some mics.

so? in crappy rooms mic close up helps reduce room ringing and the neighbors dog barking.:thumbs up:

thats a pretty big difference with and without the shield.

I know, all I did was drape a $10.00 light fleece jacket over my head and over the rear of the mic stand. I have a $130.00 face shield but I wanted to check this jacket idea out as well. Some company is selling a head booth for $600.00 on line and I will make one using 2 inch pvc pipe and moving blankets for around $60.00 that I hope will do the same thing.

interesting, I was wondering what the pics would look like.

head booth for $600..geez...a fool and his money?
yeah moving blankets at Harbor Freight, or just comforters off a bed. tracking rooms are more fun....the mixing/mastering rooms gets all flat and less creative imo, theres more rules to follow.

as a HR gearhead the demos listened too, the first 10 seconds its obvious if the tracks are in a crap room with the mic picking it up or that garage sound...or if its more studio-ish and clarity is up a level.

I didnt know the mics other than the SM57, but the test showed the effect well.

This is what I will model mine after. I will add a third side and use 45s on the top, twice to keep reflection from coming in the rear. I don't want to create a sound booth type of set up due to it sounding dead. I will also make a smaller version for instrumental work when someone is sitting. I misquoted the price above, it is $999.00 and you can view it here.

View attachment 100453

Last edited:
Back