Terry Manning: Interview and his views of Rode mics

A lot of people are pretty rough on Rode so I thought I'd post this....

Also at the very low end of their gear... I've had a lot of use out of the M3 and also the M1 is a seriously good dynamic.....

I own 5 Rode Mics, Love them.

2 x NT1's Very very early models not like the regular NT1's bought in the 1990's
1 x NT2 again very early model (bought the week they first came out)
2 x NT1000's a great mic that is very underrated.

Alan.

I used an NTK for years - my first "expensive" mic (700 CDN). I thought it was ok after all the online reviews were positive.
A few years ago I replaced it with a Sputnik which is much cleaner, a bit brighter and doesn't have that notorious "wind noise" or sibilance. Plus it was a couple hundred less $$.
I noticed that the NTK was never mentioned in the above articles lol. My friend has an NT2A which was also considered good until we compared it to his new C414XLS. You could hear the fizz... That mic was also not mentioned in the article lol again.

I used an NTK for years - my first "expensive" mic (700 CDN). I thought it was ok after all the online reviews were positive.
A few years ago I replaced it with a Sputnik which is much cleaner, a bit brighter and doesn't have that notorious "wind noise" or sibilance. Plus it was a couple hundred less $$.
I noticed that the NTK was never mentioned in the above articles lol.

I don't have a NTK, but friends of mine that do love it, not mention from them of wind noise or sibilance? I am sure the Sputnik is great too, but they are different mics and you choose what suits your taste. Buy the way a NT1000 is almost a NTK but transistor instead of valve.If I were to look into a Rode valve mic I would buy a K2 which is a NTK with 3 patterns.

My friend has an NT2A which was also considered good until we compared it to his new C414XLS. You could hear the fizz... That mic was also not mentioned in the article lol again.

NT2A and C414XLS are very different mics, and I would expect them to sound very different. The C414XLS is twice the price of a NT2A in the USA, or 3 times the price if you were in Australia.

Alan.

Back