Terribly Quiet Microphone

Arth15

For the record, this problem has always been with me no matter which mic I use, but currently I am sporting this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00029MTMQ/ref=ox_sc_...

So, basically the problem is as the title says. My mic is terribly quiet, even when its practically touching my mouth it is barely audible.

I'm not sure what kind of information you are going to need to help me, so ask me any questions necessary and I'll be sure to answer them to the fullest of my abilities in order to get this issue fixed. Thanks in advance.

From the specification for the sensitivity of the mic (-40dB) from the manufacturers site, the mic shouldn't be a problem (unless it's broken), the problem might be what you're plugging it into and whether it has adequate gain for the mic or if something is set incorrectly. Are you sure the mic is being supplied with 'plug in power' which is needed to power the mic? Is it the recording that plays back with a lack of volume?
ZALMAN - ZM-MIC1
I wouldn't have high expectations for a cheap $6 dollar microphone.

- What are you plugging into?
- What computer OS (if a computer)?
- What soundcard?
- What audio software?

From the specification for the sensitivity of the mic (-40dB) from the manufacturers site, the mic shouldn't be a problem (unless it's broken), the problem might be what you're plugging it into and whether it has adequate gain for the mic or if something is set incorrectly. Are you sure the mic is being supplied with 'plug in power' which is needed to power the mic? Is it the recording that plays back with a lack of volume?
ZALMAN - ZM-MIC1
I wouldn't have high expectations for a cheap $6 dollar microphone.

- What are you plugging into?
- What computer OS (if a computer)?
- What soundcard?
- What audio software?

I don't think the plug in power is the issue. Yes, the play back is very quiet.

-I am plugging into the rear mic-in on my PC. (The front doesn't work anymore)
-Windows 10
-No soundcard
-Realtek HD Audio Manager

See if you have a setting in the Windows Control panel called 'Microphone Boost'. It might show up in the RealTek audio software also. Below is a screenshot in Win7. Win10 may be a bit different(?)

What levels are you seeing on the meters in your DAW recording software?

Attachments

• mic boost.jpg
    mic boost.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 14
See if you have a setting in the Windows Control panel called 'Microphone Boost'. It might show up in the RealTek audio software also. Below is a screenshot in Win7. Win10 may be a bit different(?)

What levels are you seeing on the meters in your DAW recording software?

Mic Boost is on +30, the meters look good too.

You haven't said what you're using as recording/playback software. If your recording is an mp3 file try playing it in something else, even a different computer or post an unprocessed raw clip here so we can take a listen.

Back