Telefunken D77 cable

Big Kenny

I just acquired this odd duck and it has a 5 pin male cable attached. Well, none of my preamps take a 5 pin. Does anyone have one of these? Can I grab a 5 pin female midi / male xlr adapter? Are there 5 pin -> two xlr so I can use each mic seperately? ( It is a stereo mic with two mics in it). Any help would be appreciated.

So let me get this right- the mic has a male midi-type connector on the end?

I don't know if you can get a female in-line MIDI connector- never looked for one.

I would probably replace the existing connector with a male 5-pin XLR. Then I would make or buy a 5-pin female-dual XLR cable, like the one that comes with the Rode NT-4.

What kind of mic is it? How old is it? Does it need phantom power? Or (hopefully not) something wierd like T-power? Some location recording mics used this power scheme, mics that use it are not compatible with phantom.

I would guess that both sides share a common shield. After that, you just need to make sure you get both sides wired with correct polarity.

I also have a stereo mic(2 seperate mics) with the 5 pin XLR... Interested in how this thread pans out... :cool:

I have one of these things too. It looked interesting, so I bought it cheap. Haven't ever used it because of the connector issue.

It's a dynamic mic (actually two of them connected together. I bellieve the connector is a DIN.

There are such things as cables that go from the 5-pin to twin 3-pin XLRs. I have used a Rode NT4 (coincident stereo condensors) that had that type of setup. However the cable was supplied with the microphone, so I had no issues there.

I have searched pretty extensively for suppliers of pre-made cables/adapters that go from the 5-pin DIN to dual 3-pin XLRs, but have come up empty. Rode may possibly sell replacements for their NT4s, but there is no guarantee (that I know of) that the pin outs are the same between it and the Telefunken.

It shouldn't be dificult to build your own adapter cable if you can get a pinout diagram for the Tele.

G.

Hello all you discussioners. I have a SABA D77 cardiod stereo microphone (Germany?) that I got from a flea market for $45. It is actually two seperate mics mounted one on top of each other. It is untested. If anyone wants it I can give it up for the same price. It has a MALE 5-pin DIN plug at the other end. So I also made an adpater by buying a female DIN plug and wiring (soldering) 5 wires to the plug and then connecting the +ve and -ve (red channel) and +ve and -ve left channel and shielded wire to the central pin (earth). The other end of the bare wires I connected to normal RCA phono jacks. You guys can have them all, as I have acquired a set of expensive SONY microphones that use the nornmal phono jacks. If you like pictures contact me by email bigbozer@yahoo.com (Eddy, CA)

is this mic intended for use with the old style household tape decks? Because some of those had 5 pin din mic in's back in the day if my memory serves me well?

Back