tascam 424 and mics

slkeen

I have a tascam 424 tha I bought used last winter. It works fine and I'm happy with it. I've been doing some recording with my acoustic straight from the piezo and its not that great a sound. So I want to get a couple of condenser mics. My questions are: since the 424 does not have XL inputs, I need 1/4 inch. I know there are adapters available for this. But what if I get a mik that needs phantom power? Doe all condenser miks uses batteries, or do I need some more gear to power the miks? I'm thinking of checking out the MXL 2001 / 603 package. This a deal where you get them both in a promotional deal. Does anyone know if these miks run on batteries or do I need more gear to power them? I don't know alot about all this mic stuff, so any help is appreciated.
Sony also makes condensor mic - ECM-330 - that list for $99. Thesew have batteries and 1/8-1/4 inch plugs. Maybe that would be a good choice? Thanks

the mxl 603 is a grat mic for acoustic guitar but the mxl2001 isnt all that great of a mic....id buy the 603 by itself....

not all mics use batteries, and you will need another source of phantom power....there are standalone boxes that supply phantom power, check Musicians Friend....

Im not familiar with that Sony mic so I cant comment.....

I don't know about the Sony either, but the MXL 603, as Gidge said, has received some great reviews. I'm buying one myself.

For the same amount you pay for the 2001/603 package you can buy the 603 and either the ART Tube MP or the new DBX mini preamp. I think you will get some very good acoustic guitar sounds out of this combination.

The PreSonus Blue Tube has 2 channels, phantom power, for $150 at Music123.com. The Blue Tube will give you more bang for buck then the DBX or ART. Before I forget, get the Art MP with the VU meter, it's $20 or 30 more but it makes it a lot easier to get the levels right.

slkeen, another possibility is to get a Behringer MX602a (phantom
powered) mixer new for about $100-www.musiciansfriend and Guitar
Center sell them. I have the "one up" model, the MX802a, and it has
worked well for me. It has a better signal to noise ratio than your
Tascam Portastudio's mixer (I used to own a 414MKII), has XLR inputs, is
more durable for live work, and you can bypass the 424's mixer if
you want to make 2 track recordings direct to your Tascam, submix,etc.
You could also use it to help mix down from the Tascam's direct outs,
as the circuits in the Behringers mixer are quieter (I think the original 424
had directs outs...) The mic preamp suggestions given here, however,
should sound superior to the preamps in the Behringer and you may want
to pick one up as a supplement. I bought the MX802a from the local
Guitar Center, as some people have expressed concern over the
reliability of this mixer, so I could return/exchange it if there was a
problem. (9 months so far-no problemas)

Back