Talk to me about AT4050s

noisedude

I was in the university studio today putting together some recording coursework. I was using scratch tracks from home to streamline the process. Apart from the PC problems I'm having my tracks on my SE2200 and Shure 545 were totally holding up against the ones I was making down there. In fact, I kept the bass track I made with a Behringer DI through my Soundcraft M12 because it somehow sounded 'tighter' to my ears than through the old Spirit Studio 24 in uni.

The only mic that blew me away by comparison to my own stuff (and bear in mind this was all in a very expensively-treated room!) was the AT4050. It was awesome on my acoustic, on the piano and even on my voice.

Tell me about it. I don't know anything about mics other than what I own and have used live lots. To my ears, these 4050s have 'detail' and a 'crispness' I'd not heard in my recording before. People have told me I should try an NT2 on my voice, but that wasn't available today. I reckon these would've smoked it ... really sensitive, perfect on my very quiet parts of vocal.

Ok ... talk to me. How would you describe its sound, and are there others which sound similar.

NB - I'm talking mainly cardioid setting only. I did use the Fig-8 in a Blumein pair on my acoustic though :cool:

Well ... they're genereally not considered to be glamorous or sexy. Sonically-speaking, not a lot of bells/whistles. Doesn't look overly slick -- looks like all their other stuff, in fact. For those reasons it's often taken for granted.

You mentioned that it sounded nice on more than a few of your applications. They tend to be versatile like that. One of the things that really stands out about it -- and this might be what you're aluding to -- is that they tend to be really well-balanced in how they sound.

Now by well-balanced, I mean everything's pretty much there. There's no hollowed-out midrange, and not a lot of flattering stuff going on in the high end or low-end other than a little of the usual LDC proximity effect (that isn't out-of-control or anything). There's a noticeable bump in the high mids, but it's strategcially placed -- more for clarity than for coloration. And there is just a little extra sparkle in the highs, but it's done tastefully ... definitely not over the top or anything.

Basically, it's just a good, solid, well-balanced LDC. Well-behaved; everything in moderation. Kind of the proverbial workhorse; used by top engineers on high-profile records ... found in some of the top recording facilities alongside mega-expensive mics.

are there others which sound similar.

Yes. The Shure condensers actually share a lot in common with the Audio Technicas. KSM-44, 32, or 27, with the 44 being the closest. I tend to lump the Shures and AT's together a lot in terms of their general sonic characteristics and quality.

chessrock said:
One of the things that really stands out about it -- and this might be what you're aluding to -- is that they tend to be really well-balanced in how they sound.

Now by well-balanced, I mean everything's pretty much there. There's no hollowed-out midrange, and not a lot of flattering stuff going on in the high end or low-end other than a little of the usual LDC proximity effect (that isn't out-of-control or anything). There's a noticeable bump in the high mids, but it's strategcially placed -- more for clarity than for coloration. And there is just a little extra sparkle in the highs, but it's done tastefully ... definitely not over the top or anything.
That's exactly what it sounded like to me! Glad I'm not crazy. I did feel like my voice was a little 'clinical' but I preferred it to the sound from my 545, which seemed to ignore the highs altogether and make my voice sound tremendously dull.

It's all part of my education ... which begins in earnest now I have proper monitors at home too (no ... I didn't buy those damn Wharfedales ... I do live in Wharfedale, Yorkshire though).

Will have to see if I can make contact with any of those Shures.

noisedude said:
Saw what? :)

EDIT - Maybe I should delete mine? We could go back to a proper discussion?
Man!!! I knew I shouldn't sold that time machine on e-bay! I know wish I could go back and read your deleted post!! Damn! Oh! Well, nothing constructive to add other than thanks for the info Cheesrock.

Back