Taking the head off an SM58

rbnalv7

Does screwing the mesh head off an SM58 actually have any effect on the sound?
Random question I know.....

yep - it pops more, more than say a 57, and some people say it's brighter, but I've never actually heard that myself - to my ears, no difference in sound - but don't sing into it. It's also too easy to damage, so put the grill back on!

^^^That exactly! The windscreen is there for a couple of important reasons, and the difference without it isn't worth the risk. If you're not satisfied with the 58, get another mic.

without the pop screen it's basically a SM57 and personally I do hear a difference between the 57 and 58 and I prefer the 57.
I also don't believe simply singing into it with no pop screen will harm it.

But the diaphragm is very delicate and touching it in any kind of way WILL damage it and even the 57 has a protective screen to keep that from happening.

I agree with everyone here that it's not worth doing and does carry the danger of damaging the mic.

There is a slight difference between the 57 and 58. Taking the 'head' off the 58 will not make enough audible difference worthy of sacrificing your mic.

Tho, I have taken them off myself. :)

Thanks guys. I thought it would make a difference in terms of sound (I was just thinking of having more options to mess with). Thankyou!

Back