Suggestion for Male Vocals mic for Studio use

sgia

Hello,

There are similar posts in this forum, however I can't find an answer to my query, so here it goes.

I am looking for suggestions for a microphone for male vocals in a studio environment. Music style includes ballads, a bit of pop/folk stuff but nothing heavy. Think Paul Simon maybe Billy Joel.

Signal chain is either:

MIC -> Focusrite Twintrack -> Zoom R16

or

MIC -> Focusrite Saphire PRO 40 (Firewire) -> DAW

My budget is variable however > $500 would need a very strong argument. If you have had great experience with much cheaper stuff, then please let me know.

I would also appreciate info about any "matched pairs" Preamp/MIC that are known to work extremely well together for my need, although I think the pres I have are ok.

FYI - My current mics are:

AKG Perception 220 (which isn't doing it for me)
Sure SM86 (stage vocals, love it)
AKG C1000S (pair - acoustic guitar, cello, overhead, stereo spoken-word)
RODE NT5 (pair - anything stereo - I love these)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
SG

Depending on your budget: My Lawson mp47 with my avalon sp 737 channel strip sounds wonderful on almost any kind of vocal and acoustic guitar. My other mike, an AKG C 414 BULS sounds great on both vocals and instruments. You might have to spend some bucks for all this stuff, but if you want that special sound you're looking for I would recommend these.

Good Luck

Jer-Bear

I'm sure that setup sounds fantastic. At ~ $4500 it better! I must say however, that it's not in the dimension that I would consider realistic for my recording hobby. Don't get me wrong, I am not averse to spending what's necessary, but for a hobby home studio with a few foam pads on the spare room wall and a shaggy carpet, I think that equipment would be grossly underused.

Thanks.

I've got experience with the Oktava mk 319. It's a great microphone for the money, especially if you search Craigslist numerous times each day like I do. :D

I love the mk 319, as well as my Audio Technica 4040. I've used them in the following set-ups...
Mic > Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 > lap top
Mic > Focusrite ISA One > Delta 1010 > desktop computer
Mic > mixer > Delta 1010 > desktop computer

Certainly worth looking in to, IMHO.

I'm using behringer c-1 condenser mic , using it with Tascam us-122 mkii sound card with built in mic preamp , I think the clarity is very crisp and would be good for you ad well .. I bought it here in India for just Rs1700/-(40$ aprox) ..

Last edited:
Back