Which Style of Mic Would Be Best Suited for My Voice?

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the midst of upgrading my home studio and one area I'd like to finally tackle is that of my microphone. Up to this point, I've used a Rode NT-1A which I purchased many years ago as I was getting into recording and, while it has served me largely well, I find it rather brittle in the high end, and would like to upgrade to something a bit better.

I record a one man band sort of thing, where I record vocals (and occasional guitar) to my Apogee Element, and take care of the rest using virtual instruments. I record kind of pop/rock type of music, sort of in the mold of The Beatles/The Beach Boys, with lots of harmonies, so the vocals will certainly be something that will stand out in most of my work.

Because the types of microphones out there are so vast, combined with my rather limited knowledge of this stuff, I was hoping to get some feedback on what type/style of mic would suit my voice (link below to an old, unpolished demo to provide some context), so I can at least narrow things down a bit. For example, would I benefit from something that pushes the mid-range a bit, or something that lowers them, etc.? My budget is around $3,000, but, of course, I won't complain if I could find something cheaper.

Thanks!

These Are My Words by The Academic Thugs | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the midst of upgrading my home studio and one area I'd like to finally tackle is that of my microphone. Up to this point, I've used a Rode NT-1A which I purchased many years ago as I was getting into recording and, while it has served me largely well, I find it rather brittle in the high end, and would like to upgrade to something a bit better.

I record a one man band sort of thing, where I record vocals (and occasional guitar) to my Apogee Element, and take care of the rest using virtual instruments. I record kind of pop/rock type of music, sort of in the mold of The Beatles/The Beach Boys, with lots of harmonies, so the vocals will certainly be something that will stand out in most of my work.

Because the types of microphones out there are so vast, combined with my rather limited knowledge of this stuff, I was hoping to get some feedback on what type/style of mic would suit my voice (link below to an old, unpolished demo to provide some context), so I can at least narrow things down a bit. For example, would I benefit from something that pushes the mid-range a bit, or something that lowers them, etc.? My budget is around $3,000, but, of course, I won't complain if I could find something cheaper.

Thanks!

These Are My Words by The Academic Thugs | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Why not try the re-invented Rode NT1, the black one. It is attracting considerable acclaim.

Just got it. It's nice. Seems it is the best to date, been refined and re-refined.

Haven't spent a lot of time with it, but tried it on electric, acoustic, and voice and it works well.
I can easily see it becoming a go to mic for all purpose use.

I can easily see it becoming a go to mic for all purpose use.

And indeed that is my experience as well. I have a reasonable arsenal of mikes from which to choose, but I find that I can leave the NT1 on the stand and use it for just about everything. The only time I don't is when I know that I have a combination that I don't want to sacrifice, for example, AT853 on violin.

I was expecting some kind of hittable mismatch between voice and mic, but I don't hear it. This means none of us can make a qualitative choice, or even suggestions for you, because you're in the realms of choosing for personal taste, and tiny things matter to you, that we can't judge for you.

You have a good budget, so why not spend a little on it hiring in some contenders? Spend a little time with them, and pick one. If we suggest mics, it will be on subtle points that will personal to us - so might not match?

I would suggest sending the NT1A to Michael Joly of Oktavamod and have him replace the capsule. It will turn a mediocre mic into a great mic.

I agree with Rob. You should rent some mics to see which one just works for you. Once you get into the $1500 and above price range, they are all good quality mics. It becomes a matter of preference and matching the specific Mic to the specific application. Only you can do that. Everyone else will just be giving you a list of things to try.

Internet forums are LOADED with 'buy a SM7B' advice, but that's one of the mics I would try for you. Plenty of good sub-$100 dynamics from Shure, Blue, EV, Heil, and CAD as well. Beyond that, assuming you want a condenser, I'd try the tonal families out and see if a C12/414, u67, or u87 is more your bag. Based on your recording (which I dig, but on these earbuds the snare and hats are shrill murder), I think u87 is your flavor. If it were me, I'd get a dynamic or two and compare, and a cheap condenser, like an AKG P220 or Blue Spark, both of which have been *sorta* compared to the u87 at some point or another. That'll set you back maybe $350 and give you some choices.

If you do decide a u87 is for you, it's a popular mic and just my guess, plenty of clones and kits and similarly fashioned mics are out there.

Basically, if you can make it work with a Rode NT1a, I think you'll do well with any number of flat-to-flattering, not too colored mics. I'd spend $200 on a dynamic and and AKG P220 and see how they suit you. You can always spend more later.

Because the types of microphones out there are so vast, >> My budget is around $3,000, but, of course, I won't complain if I could find something cheaper.

I hear McCartneish- and also the interest in harmonies stuff so , he did RAM with RE20 or at least some. But thats only half the pciture imo.
The Mic and Channel strip is the pair, like a Guitar and the Amp/tones....

A lot of compression going on in those days, everything was tube right? solid state started sprouting up near the the end of 60's. Tibes still preferred by many. I think that alone takes out some of the sizzling highs and ssss's....without pedals needed and noise dessers that can also degrade the source.

So what has the NT1 been ran into, preamp? comp? eq? this could make it sound totally different to.

As for the vast comment, that alone is why I went brand name, not because Im a Shure fanatic but becaus my brain wasnt doing well with the 10,000 options, so I went Shure and started messing around with the SM58,57, SM7b, then the KSM 27, 44...nearly got a 32 the other day...the only complaint I have for the SHure is they offer one Ribbon and its expensive as hell. I wish they had cheaper ribbon to try.

yeah I went through a mic frenzy and it was overwhelming and being lazy I didnt want something i had to work at too hard.
I could have as easily went to Seinheiser or whoever, but SHure offers some cheaper good stuff, KSM 44 are $1000 mics often used for as low as $400.. the KSM27 can be $125 at times which is cool too.

I dont know the RODE family but Adele used one on the # 1 album of all time per Billboard, so that says something ..like they know what they are doing. ROlling in the Deep was a Rode into a 6176....and it went from demo to the album (with a lot of mixing plugs during mix), but the basic track was Rode something + 6176. ..and a 3 chord song...lol crazy

Last edited:
listening to this again, the backing is fine. so the lead vocal is maybe missing some mid range and has a bit sizzle/thiness ? er...high end. I think I get what youre wanting ....

it could probably be done with eq.

but if youre looking for a mic channel that just works easily and doesnt require much surgery, that makes sense.
i would probably get a little more aggressive with the comp on the lead vocal track and get it solid. volumne changes is lesser noticed with backing.

$400 VC1Q has some transformer and opto british green colored compression sound and the Q for vocal...
comes with a nice DI too.
GC has a KSM44 for $379 excellent condition, $70 off. $1000 Retail.
RE20 + ISA One+ comp? might get that 5K up a bit.
Go all in with the poker chips and get a U87 and a channel strip...:guitar:

clip>>For vocals over music — especially male vocals — the KSM44’s built-in high-frequency boost added the desired clarity and top needed to cut through a mix. No extra EQ was necessary.

In a quick comparison, I found I could mimic the KSM44’s sound with a U 87 AiNeumann U 87 by adding a wide-Q 4 dB boost centered around 5 kHz; the sort of EQ I would add to a vocal track cut with the U87, in other words.

Stephen Murphy is the editor of Pro Audio Review. As a recording engineer/producer, he has worked on many successful audio and video productions, including Platinum and Grammy-award winning recordings.>>
Shure KSM44 Sidebar – Pro Audio Review

Attachments

• vc1q.png
    vc1q.png
    278 KB · Views: 7
Back