Studio Projects VTB1 V Series

malcolm123

Hello All,
I just pulled this thing out of my gear storage stuff. 2 quick questions.
1. This Tube Blend was emulated correct? I'm sure there was no real tube in this thing based off size and price.

2. Do people still use them? Asking before I waste time looking up the company that may not still exist.

I need to catch up on "New Gear".

Thanks

There is a 'real tube in the VTB1 as seen below. It's a 'starved plate' design that uses a lower voltage on the plates than what typically might be used in more expensive preamps, such as the UA710 which also has a blend control. While it is a starved plate design, it still does impart a tubish coloration to the sound. It's a decent little preamp and I still use mine occasionally.
Studio Projects is still alive and kicking Mic Preamps by Studio Projects . I also have two of their mics, an SP C1 and a CS5.

Attachments

• 1017233.jpg
    1017233.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Man.

I learned about it from here.
I'm going to fire it up tonight and test my SP B1. I never liked that mic, but I can't remember why.
I'm older now, so I may like it now. LOL

Ive read a lot of good things about the VTB1.

I found an old post about this "starved tube" as in VTB1 and other designs, I dont have the authors name but always thought it explained the tube design well. There was a lot of snobbery in the day, probably those who owned $12,000 tube amps not wanting "starved plates" to use the tube-tone description ..:listeningmusic:

Clip from article>
Often times people associate a "starved plate" tube preamp design as being a negative thing. It really is not, and it may be the answer to your desire for affordable warmth in a cold digital world. Read on:

"Starved plate" is not necessarily as bad a thing as it is made out to be.

Without getting into gory technical details, in order to have the same or similar dynamic performance as a well-designed solid-state preamp, a tube preamp typically needs to have much higher operating voltages because it is much less efficient. This requires big, expensive power supplies so that the anode has a massive charge at all times (usually around 300V to reliably deliver 48V signal or around ~30dBu clean headroom). This is what it takes for a tube preamp to compete with a high-quality solid-state preamp in terms of clean, transparent, high-headroom technical specifications.

HOWEVER, most people who are shopping for a budget tube preamp are not looking for clean, transparent, distortion-free sound-- they are usually looking for the "warm," "fire-y," "fattened and flattened" sound of tubes that are pushed hard.

The fact is that a wide variety of fairly inexpensive solid-state preamps (like the VTB-1 in non-tube mode) (the Rane MS1b) (FMR RNP) (Black Lion Audio and many others) can deliver excellent, high headroom, and fairly uncolored sound in the budget price range. When people who already have such preamps go looking for "tubey warmth," directing them towards a super-clean high-voltage tube preamp is often simply directing them towards a more expensive tube-based version of the sound they already have.

The "problem" with starved-plated designs is that they distort and saturate earlier and at lower signal levels. Technically, of course, this is a bad thing, but the fact is that many people shopping for budget tube preamps are actually looking for that saturated/overloaded tube sound, and not for a super-pristine, super-clean high-headroom sound that compares favorably with high-end solid-state amplifiers or whatever.

As such, delivering lower power to the plate can simply be a way to induce that "tubey" saturation at lower signal levels, something like a guitar distortion pedal that uses an overdriven circuit to achieve a saturated sound that would technically be regarded as "bad," but that is in some cases desirable.

In short, there is nothing wrong with using a "starved plate" tube preamp as a deliberate effect, which is frankly what most home studios would use it for. Dismissing them out of hand is a bit like dismissing a distortion pedal because it distorts the sound-- that's the point, really.

Super-clean, pristine, high-headroom, low-noise preamps typically require big, expensive, high-quality power supplies and components, and tube-based designs even more so. And if clean, transparent, and pristine audio signal is what you're looking for, you're likely going to have to spend some money to get it in a tube design.

But if what you're after is distinctly "tubey" analog saturation, then "starved-plate" design is perfectly capable of delivering it at a much lower price. Whether any particular preamp at any particular price is as good as another is a rather subjective call, but people looking for a "hot" tube flavor should not necessarily dismiss so-called "starved plate" designs out of hand. They are, in effect, a sort of "distortion pedal" whose explicit purpose is to deliver overloaded, distorted signal that approximates the effect of the high-end preamps when driven to capacity.

So, don't go throwing the "Starved Plate" pre's under the bus!

Last edited:
I own 4 x VTB-1's, I love them. They out perform many higher priced Mic Pres. The tube dial does work but I do usually use it in the middle setting unless it's a guitar cab I am running through then I may dial up the tube. I tracked the last drum recording through the 4 VTB's I had the tom mics on them, sounded great. I have had good results with vocals and it's my goto acoustic guitar pre with a AKG C4000B (the original version).

I may look around for a couple more for when I track a live band in the studio, you can never have enough mic pres LOL.

Alan

Flick the Line switch in and out a few times, it may have a dirty contact if it has not been used in a while.

Alan.

Flick the Line switch in and out a few times, it may have a dirty contact if it has not been used in a while.

Alan.

Okay,, let me play with the thing a little bit. I will check the power supply voltage also. Any idea what I should be
getting from the power supply? 12v,, 1amp??? maybe??? LOL Thanks

Alan.

I got a quick signal that time by flicking ALL of the buttons. Then It stopped.
Right now,, all of the LEDs on the Level Meter are lit up. All the way to red.
With no mic plugged in ot plugged in. Input for bass guitar doesn't signal either.

thx

Sounds like you need to clean all the contacts. Is it the right power supply that came with it?

LOL,, Yes,, it seems to be a contact problem. The front Input now works with Bass Guitar. (Sounds Good also).

Input knob is full of static as well as the output.

Question: The tube Blend to the left (Full),,, gives me a nice clean souds. So that means to the right, saturates it correct?

Thanks Man!! This thing has a lot of presence with this new mic that I have never used before.

Yep, left is clean, right lots of tube, middle best of both. Get some good contact cleaner into it, NOT! WD40 or lube.

Alan.

sometimes Ive had luck just turning the hell out of the pot , like 25 timesback and forth...gets the dust and cobwebs out.

What type of POTS are in these things?

Thx
From the pic I posted of the innards, the pots are likely either carbon or plastic film. While a quick shot of regular contact cleaner may clean them up, I've been using DeoxIT FaderLube on faders and pots. Not sure how different the fader lube is, but I just feel better using something that may be more suited for this type of job.
As CoolCat noted, give it a try sweeping the pots back and forth and see if they clean up that way first. I think my VTB-1 had the same issue on the input gain pot also and I got away with not hitting with cleaner by just working it back and forth.

How do I check this tube?
I am thinking about switching this tube out for a JG5751.

I have seen a Mod for this.

Thanks

Back