Studio Projects VTB1 V Series

There is a 'real tube in the VTB1 as seen below. It's a 'starved plate' design that uses a lower voltage on the plates than what typically might be used in more expensive preamps, such as the UA710 which also has a blend control. While it is a starved plate design, it still does impart a tubish coloration to the sound. It's a decent little preamp and I still use mine occasionally.
Studio Projects is still alive and kicking Mic Preamps by Studio Projects . I also have two of their mics, an SP C1 and a CS5.

Not without getting too deep into technical stuff, but I finally drilled the screw I stripped out and got inside of mine.
Your's say Rev-B, DEC-01... Mine is a REV-A APR-02.. My LED right by the Tube are white. Your's are Blue.

Funny That is not even a full year yet. Also, My Tube has "No" writing or ID marks on it. That I can see.

Hmmmm??

LOL

Pins 4 and 5 are the heater center tapped to pin 9. Count the pins looking at the bottom of the tube.
12ax7 Tube Datasheet - GuitarKitBuilder

The pic I posted was not my unit, but one I found on a website

SO I was in Pin#9 instead of what I though was pin#1. Thanks

I think I see breaks from pin#4 and #5 to what looks to be some type of connection gone.
( Kind of like a Light Bulb)

Continuity on pin #4 and #5 based off you're pic. Clipped to your "New" #1 pin. I think I had #9 and #1 backwards.

thx

I don't know how much difference you will hear with a different tube, but its fun trying this stuff LOL.

Yes, I too have had success from turning the pots back and forth, the pots on even my newest VTB-1 are a little noisy especially when bass frequencies are going through it, however they are quiet when set to the wanted level. I give them a spray now and then.

Alan.

I ordered a Solvtek 12AX7 Russian tube replacement.
I listened to a few Videos where one guy had a Tube switch box for comparing tubes while using a looped
guitar recording. It seemed to take more and have more overhead with less noise. Either way, it should be just
fine or even better as a replacement.

The new Solvtek tube is smoother, less floor noise, and takes more gain earlier before the harshness kicks in.
It's all personal preference though.

Back