Studio Projects Customer Service

Richard Monroe

Well, I'm not connected with SP in any way, except being a generally satisfied customer. But this really is impressive. I had a problem with the shock mounts on my new C-4's being a little loose, and I emailed Justin Hyatt about it, and I did post up a limited review on the mics. Well, I also had a problem with one of my omni capsules generating some impressive self noise.
Well Justin asked to arrange a pickup to evaluate the mics at their expense, and I figured, "what the hell? I don't have to track drums or guitar for the next couple of weeks. I'm tracking bass, and that'll all go DI anyway." So I agreed. Now my bass player is flying in this weekend, and he got injured in February, and has been unable to play the other 19 instruments he plays (guitar, keyboards, mandolin, etc. etc.) So he's bringing his mandolin.
Well I've got some options for mandolin (C414B-ULS comes to mind) but I'm thinking those C-4's might be the best mics in the cabinet for that job. I banged off an email to Alan Hyatt, and explained the situation. It looks like there was a flash of plastic interfering with the capsule, and Brent Casey blew off a meeting with Stephen Paul to hand lap the suckers! The bands have been changed out on the shocks, which apparently is the key, as too tight bands spread the mic holders a bit too much. They shipped Fedex for a Friday delivery, and I'll have them for this session. They also ran the plot graphs on them.
Well, in the end, the mics had a couple of teething issues, but you know, I've got a pair of Oktava MC012's (which I like very much, thank you), and the owners manuals and warranties (if there are any) are entirely in Russian. When they break, just what kind of service do you think I'll be getting, comrade? Not to mention the world famous customer service and technical expertise of Guitar Center (or was that infamous?).
Keep doing what you're doing, Alan, Justin, Brent, et al. You have earned my business. Now, there's a few things you need to build- my new twinQ, the Toft ATC-2, the Stephen Paul mic. Those will do for starters. Thanks to all of you.-Richie

They also need to kiss me on the lips. So whats up with that?

Good to hear about some GOOD customer service for a change. When my wallet allows the C4's will be mine.. oh yes.. mine...

And how often do you get a personal response from the CEO of a company when some one like me, a nickel and dime consumer has a question about the products? And mighty good products at that?
SP has gone a long way to impress me.

Me too!

After once talking to Brent on the phone regarding matching a pair of B1's, I emailed them about keeping my B1's dry and in the informative email response they encouraged me to call them anytime, should I need to. This seems to be one fine operation.

Bill Keane

I own 7 SP mic's and have never had any problems with any of them... that's the kind of customer service I like best. :)

I will also attest to their great customer service.

When I bought my C3 it had a couple of issues... for one, the output was considerably lower than I was use to (granted I normally used an AT-4033... which being single pattern has higher output). The upper portion of the mic casing also seemed to be off alignment a little bit, causing the pattern switch to short out.

I left a message here on the board to Alan and he contacted me personally to talk over the problem.

He agreed to take a look at the mic (now keep in mind that I bought this from a retailer)...

Anyhow... long story short... Alan tested the mic himself and got things fixed up for me.

That mic was used for my main vocal mic for a national release I just completed... and I loved it... worked great.

I'm curious to know how the C4 sounds, as I would love to pick up some small condensors.

Velvet Elvis

i agree

i'll just jump in here and say i totally agree---if anybody out there is reading.

Studio Projects=great product, great prices, great service.

Don't listen to your local chain store commission paid gear lobbyist---S.P is the way to go, you just gotta dig around a little to find a store that carries 'em.

Actually, the street price will be closer to a grand. The technogeeks can give you a better explanation than I can, but it's solid state circuitry seems to be similar to a Grace 101, rather than class A circuitry, like an Avalon. It seems to be kind of what you'd get if you married a Joemeek compressor to two Grace Design 101's, and then gave it better EQ than the Joemeek. What's not to love?-Richie

Acutally, unlike the Meek's the Toft compressors are F.E.T. not photo optical. This gives them a much faster reaction time and there is no coloration like the Meeks. The desgin of the ATC-2 is much like the offspring of Malcolm's 980 and Series 80 consoles.

Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I received my C-4's back today at 3:00, well in time. The omnis are fine and the shock mounts are usable. Thank you, Justin, Alan, and Brent.-Richie

Richard Monroe said:
Thanks for the clarification. BTW, I received my C-4's back today at 3:00, well in time. The omnis are fine and the shock mounts are usable. Thank you, Justin, Alan, and Brent.-Richie

I heard about the SP C4 shock mounts problems... but, what was wrong with the omnis?

Back