Studio Project C4

stoctony

I am looking at a set of Studio Project C4's. Cant really find a lot on studio project brand. I will use them for recording acoustic. Are they quality. I was wondering because I have never heard of studio project. Well that doesnt really mean much. Thanks in advance

If you make a search on this board you will find plenty of infromation on C4.

I use the C-4's on acoustic, although more on classical than steel string, for which I tend to us a single C414B-ULS. I consider the C-4's to be the best mic of their type in the price range, which has recently come down. If I recall, you have an AT3035, and I've heard some of your work. For small diahragm condensers, I don't think you'll do any better until you get into the $600 a pair range (AKG C451, etc.)-Richie

Ditto.

I own a pair of C4 also. The omni capsules are well worth having, and were a heavy influence on my getting C4 instead of the Rode NT5. I think the omnis will do an especially nice job for you with acoustic.

Hey Richard

Would you mind going a little more into detail about why you like the C4 on nylon strings? I'm going to be doing some experimentation with a classical guitar and am looking into a pair of small diaphragm condensors, with budget taken into consideration. Have you done any recordings with the C4 on nylon strings? Do you have anything I could listen to? Thanks a lot.

Well, Rhythym, I tend to record steel string with one LD on the 12th fret, and it gives me the results I want with my axe. When I do this on a classical, I feel like the blind men with the elephant. The different parts of the guitar just don't convey the whole picture. I found early on that I got my best picture of a classical with a coincedent pair of SD's backed off about 30".
The best I can give you is a pre-master version of a song which involves a harp/classic guitar duet. The harp was recorded with an AKG C414B-ULS, because it was the best mic I had for the job at the time. The B.L.U.E. Kiwi just didn't give me what I wanted. I tried a matched pair of Oktava MC012's, but they simply were too colored for the job.
The classic guitar was recorded later as an overdub, and I was unaware at the time that there was a technical problem with one of the tracks, so we had to cut it. Retracking was not realistic, as the guitarist is in Oregon. Therefore, the guitar is recorded with half of a coincedent pair of C-4's. The wind chimes were done with the C-4's also, and there, the whole stereo picture is present. The violin is set up in the medieval fashion, muted with a slacked bow. The rennaissance bow was bent manually, with the horse hair wrapped around the bow and tensioned with the thumb. No, that's not bad playing, or bad recording. It's what a violin sounded like in the 16th century. Tha song is called "The Woodsman's Lay."-Richie

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3239/album680

I'd be more inclined to use the B1 on an acoustic guitar than the C4, which I think is a quality overhead mic. On small condensers in this price range, I'd more likely go with an Oktava MK012. On large condensers in this price range, I'd more likely go with an AT4040.

So much depends on the character of the particular guitar that you really need to have different mics available to choose from.

If the guitar has a good full lower resonance you may be better to look at a pair of MXL 603's as they are somewhat brighter and will minimise any boominess. If on the otherhand the guitar is a small bodied bright sounding instrument then Oktava 012's, C4's or maybe Rode NT5's. These are only meant as generalisations but are indicative of the kind of things to consider.

:cool:

You can go to hell, I aint no bitch... wait... wrong thread...

I love my C4's, I've done 4 projects with them in the last 3 weeks and they are doing a great job. With the price drop, they are unbeatable.
Overheads sound really detailed, toms sound nice. They do a better job than when I was using a U195 and a C451b as overheads. They are very small, easy to fit in tight places.
Was going to try them on acoustic guitars today but put up the U195 1st and there was just no need to try anything else at that point.
Something cool though... we were setting up dirty electric guitars for a fairly heavy band on wednesday, and I put up a 421-U-5, and a 441-U-5, listened, tweaked... decided to try the C4 in the same place close to the grill and immediately the band says "there it is" and it was there. It sounded more detailed, more modern, and I used it again on a session this weekend on dirty guitars and aside from the mids being too scooped at the amp, the sound is great. I have 4 projects waiting to be mixed right now, so hopefully when I get around to mixing I'll have some material to let you hear. I'm in about 20 songs deep right now. That happens a lot. Talk about stressful.

Peace
Paul

Thanks for all the help so far. So the MXL will give me the same quality and I do have a pretty boomy guitar for recording. also some one said something about the B-1. would it maybe be a good Idea to get 2 B-1's and have them double as a vocal Mic. Will the B-1 give me the same quality as the MXL or the C-4. hey richie. How are ya. I still need to send you a song. Thanks for all the help guys.

stoctony

what about the B-5. Can that be thrown into the mix. I just really dont like the 3035's and I want to be able to get a good vocal mic. Thanks

Had to add one more in. The AKG c1000. what would be the best for what I am doing. Thanks again!!

Last edited:
The B1's are a great "bang for buck" mic and would likely give you a fairly accurate replication of your guitar's sound, but also remember that what your guitar sounds like to you sitting kind of over the top of it, may not be what it sounds like to anyone sitting out in front.......in other words, what you may record with a decent mic or two may not sound as you expected.

I haven't used my B1's enough on acoustic to feel qualified to give a definitive answer, as so far I am getting satisfactory results from a pair of 603's.

The B5's are a "look a like" to the C4's but apparently have a different capsule and electronics.........based on Behringer's usual habits, I would approach them with some reservations.

Whichever mic you end up with, be prepared to spend a lot of time experimenting with mic placement to find the sweet spots that suit your mic/guitar combination.

I have a pretty boomy guitar, and a stereo pair of the 603s is doing wonders for it. Previously, I was using the B1 about 7in off the 12th fret...b/c i was in a bad room, i wanted to get as close as i could without catching too much boom, however, with the 603s, i don't really have that problem. Haven't tried them on a brighter guitar, but i'm guessing it wouldn't sound nearly as good.

artCROSS said:
I have a pretty boomy guitar, and a stereo pair of the 603s is doing wonders for it. Previously, I was using the B1 about 7in off the 12th fret...b/c i was in a bad room, i wanted to get as close as i could without catching too much boom, however, with the 603s, i don't really have that problem. Haven't tried them on a brighter guitar, but i'm guessing it wouldn't sound nearly as good.

A quick note regarding the C4, boom and getting as close as possible to the guitar:
The omni capsule has no proximity effect and can be placed right on the soundhole of the instrument. This technique gives you an "inside the guitar"
type of sound. I have heard some lovely recordings done this way and I use this technique myself.
If a directional polar pattern is a requirement, the cardioid capsule is great for close miking acoustic, since it has way less proximity effect than a large capsule mic, so a boomy guitar is easily tamed with correct placement. If further attenuation of low frequencies is needed, it can be had by engaging the high pass filter.

Regards,

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
877-563-6335

Just got my replaced shockmounts for the C4 today...tried em out.....hold the mic snug....

Was gonna toss my old ones......(don't hold the C4's for $hi#...)

Grabbed a 57....holds it PERFECT....now I got TWO 57 shockmounts!!!

Don't know if I'll ever use it....but....can't hurt to keep em around....

Yo Stocktony! First, you will get all kinds of opinions, but the C1000S is one of the last mics I would pick for anything. The B-1 is, in my opinion, a mic that is very similar to the 3035, in other words, a workhorse mic that is very versatile. I like the C-4's a lot for small diaphragm condensers, I just don't use SD's much on acoustic guitar, which definitely puts me in the minority. Generally, I like transparent mics on killer guitars, and colored mics on cheap guitars. On a cheap acoustic, I like the Oktavas or AKG C2000B. On expensive guitars I like the C-4's (or better- KM184, Josphson C-42, Schoeps, Earthworks, etc.). If the guitar is thin sounding, a colored mic can add something that is lacking. On a wicked guitar, it can muddy up something that is already there. I'm very serious that you should audition an AKG C2000B.
It's $180 with the shock mount, and would be useful on acoustic and voice. I'm pretty familiar with the sound of your voice and your guitar. The C-4's are great mics for the price, and so are the MXL603's., and either one will add a new weapon to the arsenal. The C1000S is outclassed by a bunch of mics half its price, including those 603's.-Richie

richie,

as always thanks. I was very close to buying a set of c1000's. It looks like i might go with the mxl or if I can find another pair of C4's. The ones i was looking at were on ebay. any ideas? Richie, having heard my guitar, what one do you think is the best choice. I am only worried gutair mics right now. I can always just use the 3035 for vocal or even a 58. Still gotta find a frikin' preamp. well what do you think. Anybody?

I own the B1. You can here it on voice and acoustic on the song "I Come To a Mountain". http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3552&alid=-1

It is just one pass with the acoustic and then a pass with the vocals. The acoustic is an Ovation Balladeer, just to give and idea. This song was just a quick recording to show a friend what the B1 sounds like on voice and guitar. I just wore the guitar with a strap, put headphones on and stood in front of the mic which was on a stand about sound hole level. I pivoted back and forth while playing and listened until it sounded best and hit record. Nothing fancy, but might give you and idea how it sounds.

By the way, if you decide to go with the 603's give Shrieve Audio a call. I got mine from them for $100 for the pair. I think I heard someone else say they got them for that recently.

Blessings, Terry

Where did you find the 603s for 100 a pair? I am not familiar with Shrieve Audio and didn't come up with anything on a google search.
Thanks,
Mike

Back