Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Studio Project C4

stoctony is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Studio Project C4

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am looking at a set of Studio Project C4's. Cant really find a lot on studio project brand. I will use them for recording acoustic. Are they quality. I was wondering because I have never heard of studio project. Well that doesnt really mean much. Thanks in advance

Marik is offline Pro Microphone Design
    Thanks
    If you make a search on this board you will find plenty of infromation on C4.

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    I use the C-4's on acoustic, although more on classical than steel string, for which I tend to us a single C414B-ULS. I consider the C-4's to be the best mic of their type in the price range, which has recently come down. If I recall, you have an AT3035, and I've heard some of your work. For small diahragm condensers, I don't think you'll do any better until you get into the $600 a pair range (AKG C451, etc.)-Richie

bgavin is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    Ditto.

I own a pair of C4 also. The omni capsules are well worth having, and were a heavy influence on my getting C4 instead of the Rode NT5. I think the omnis will do an especially nice job for you with acoustic.

Rhythmschism is offline Senior Member
    Thanks

Hey Richard

Would you mind going a little more into detail about why you like the C4 on nylon strings? I'm going to be doing some experimentation with a classical guitar and am looking into a pair of small diaphragm condensors, with budget taken into consideration. Have you done any recordings with the C4 on nylon strings? Do you have anything I could listen to? Thanks a lot.

Richard Monroe is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    Well, Rhythym, I tend to record steel string with one LD on the 12th fret, and it gives me the results I want with my axe. When I do this on a classical, I feel like the blind men with the elephant. The different parts of the guitar just don't convey the whole picture. I found early on that I got my best picture of a classical with a coincedent pair of SD's backed off about 30".
    The best I can give you is a pre-master version of a song which involves a harp/classic guitar duet. The harp was recorded with an AKG C414B-ULS, because it was the best mic I had for the job at the time. The B.L.U.E. Kiwi just didn't give me what I wanted. I tried a matched pair of Oktava MC012's, but they simply were too colored for the job.
    The classic guitar was recorded later as an overdub, and I was unaware at the time that there was a technical problem with one of the tracks, so we had to cut it. Retracking was not realistic, as the guitarist is in Oregon. Therefore, the guitar is recorded with half of a coincedent pair of C-4's. The wind chimes were done with the C-4's also, and there, the whole stereo picture is present. The violin is set up in the medieval fashion, muted with a slacked bow. The rennaissance bow was bent manually, with the horse hair wrapped around the bow and tensioned with the thumb. No, that's not bad playing, or bad recording. It's what a violin sounded like in the 16th century. Tha song is called "The Woodsman's Lay."-Richie

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3239/album680

ozraves is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    I'd be more inclined to use the B1 on an acoustic guitar than the C4, which I think is a quality overhead mic. On small condensers in this price range, I'd more likely go with an Oktava MK012. On large condensers in this price range, I'd more likely go with an AT4040.

Rhythmschism is offline Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Richard

ausrock is offline Feeling Monolithic
    Thanks
    So much depends on the character of the particular guitar that you really need to have different mics available to choose from.

If the guitar has a good full lower resonance you may be better to look at a pair of MXL 603's as they are somewhat brighter and will minimise any boominess. If on the otherhand the guitar is a small bodied bright sounding instrument then Oktava 012's, C4's or maybe Rode NT5's. These are only meant as generalisations but are indicative of the kind of things to consider.

tubedude is offline Been Here, Posted That
    Thanks
    You can go to hell, I aint no bitch... wait... wrong thread...

I love my C4's, I've done 4 projects with them in the last 3 weeks and they are doing a great job. With the price drop, they are unbeatable.
    Overheads sound really detailed, toms sound nice. They do a better job than when I was using a U195 and a C451b as overheads. They are very small, easy to fit in tight places.
    Was going to try them on acoustic guitars today but put up the U195 1st and there was just no need to try anything else at that point.
    Something cool though... we were setting up dirty electric guitars for a fairly heavy band on wednesday, and I put up a 421-U-5, and a 441-U-5, listened, tweaked... decided to try the C4 in the same place close to the grill and immediately the band says "there it is" and it was there. It sounded more detailed, more modern, and I used it again on a session this weekend on dirty guitars and aside from the mids being too scooped at the amp, the sound is great. I have 4 projects waiting to be mixed right now, so hopefully when I get around to mixing I'll have some material to let you hear. I'm in about 20 songs deep right now. That happens a lot. Talk about stressful.

Peace
    Paul
    Peace!
    Paul

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information